Times of day
Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Las Camelias 431
ABOUT OTRA COSA NETWORK
At Otra Cosa Network, our vision is equal opportunities in Peru for everyone to succeed and thrive.
We run five of our own projects, which are all part of the Huanchaco Education and Learning Programme (HELP). HELP is dedicated to advancing the education possibilities and resources for those living in lower-income communities in Huanchaco and the surrounding shanty towns.
The kindergarten project is located in a shantytown near Huanchaco. The poverty rate in this area is extremely high and this is the only social project around for the underprivileged inhabitants of the area; most of whom are immigrants who moved to the coast full of hope, leaving behind their roots in the highlands to find a better future. For most, the reality hasn’t been easy and many haven’t been able to get full-time jobs and have little option but to work in agriculture or construction, receiving very little money to survive.
Most of the parents never completed their own basic education and therefore they often are not able to support the education of their children. In 2010, the kindergarten started off in a little wooden cottage hosting 8 children to develop their basic skills before going to primary school. As their parents are not charged any fees, the group of children is growing. Since then they have built another wooden cottage, a playground and bathrooms to offer a better environment for the kids.
Volunteer Roles/Working Hours
- Assisting the main kindergarten teacher in everything required ensuring the kids are making progress according to their age group.
- Managing the nursery room and supervising the children using the playground and outside areas.
- Organising recreational and enrichment activities and games for the enjoyment of the children.
- The kindergarten is open most of the year (from March to mid-December).
- Volunteers work Monday to Friday 9am-1pm.
- Basic to Minimal Spanish level required
- Minimum commitment: One month
- Able to deal with streetwise children.
- Creative, responsible and independent personality.
- Genuine interest in working with children.
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers
How To Apply