Times of day
A few hours per week
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Purpose of Position:
To provide FREE tax return preparation assistance to taxpayers in the community, including those persons with a low to moderate income (individuals and families), persons with disabilities, the non-English speaking and elderly individuals.
Length of Appointment: Mid-January through Mid-April.
- Attend basic and/or refresher tax law training as needed, including the use of electronic filing software.
- Successfully pass a test on required tax law knowledge.
- Interview taxpayer to determine if all income, deductions and allowable credits are claimed.
- Provide high-quality tax-return preparation assistance to all taxpayers. Directly prepare taxpayer’s returns based on information provided by the taxpayer or answer tax-related questions
- Prepare only those tax returns for which training was provided.
- Prepare tax returns using electronic filing system.
- Refer taxpayers with complex returns to a the Site Manager who will review the complexity of the return; however, volunteers must *never* refer taxpayers to a specific practitioner or firm.
- Ensure no compensation of any kind is accepted for volunteer services provided.
- Maintain confidentiality of taxpayer information.
- Ensure on-site quality review is performed on completed returns prior to being returned to taxpayer.
- Ensure a copy of the completed return is provided to the taxpayer.
- Provide 24-hour cancellation notice to Program Manager when unable to attend a site
- Basic (or Advanced) tax knowledge (form 1040, Form 1040A and Form 1040EZ). Tax training will be provided beginning late November .
- Basic knowledge of computers.
- Friendly, dependable and flexible.
- Passing score of 80% as determined by IRS software Link and Learn.
- Orientation, training and on-site support will be provided.
- Technical support will also be available from the Internal Revenue Service.
- Minimum of twelve (12) hours per month for each of the three months during the tax season.
Language/Cultural Support Available
How To Apply
Beginning late November (training at your pace):
Self-paced IRS training: https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita
Certification Path: https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/choose_path.jsp?level=
What's New This Year: https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/00/00_01_005.jsp?level=basic
Practice preparing returns Tax Slayer Pro Practice Lab: https://vita.taxslayerpro.com/IRSTraining/en/Account/Access, password:TRAINWEBPRO
Self-paced test : https://www.linklearncertification.com/d/