A few hours per month
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
The Living Planet Aquarium
12033 S. Lone Peak Parkway
Loveland Living Planet Aquarium's Exhibit Interpreters connect our guests to the natural world. Over half a million visitors come to the aquarium annually. You can help engage and inspire others to explore amazing ecosystems. Share your knowledge and passion for our living planet, by helping guests learn about the unique creatures in our care. Help us foster conservation efforts in our community and beyond.
Position: Volunteer Exhibit Interpreter
Reports To: Volunteer Services Manager, Onsite Education Leads
Position Summary: The Exhibit Interpreter will be responsible for assisting on-site education in exhibit interpretation, some feed programs, opportunities to assist with program development, crowd control, exhibit interpreter trainings and other duties assigned by direct reports.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide assistance to on-site education staff in the LLPA opening duties.
- Maintain a daily rotation with on-site education.
- Interact with the LLPA guests: answer basic questions about the facility and exhibits.
- Manage crowd control in high traffic areas including the Toucan exhibit, animal touch areas, otter exhibit, and the shark tunnel.
- Assist with crowd control during presentations and feedings such as shark feed and penguin feed.
- Maintain cleanliness of exhibit halls: pick up trash, and empty garbage cans, wipe up spills as needed.
- Assist with lost kids/parents
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: Must be at least 14 years of age, and currently enrolled in the 9th grade or higher.
- Must be enthusiastic to learn about the various exhibits at the LLPA and the ecosystems they represent.
- Must be able to follow instructions from direct reports.
- Must be friendly, polite, professional, and courteous to the LLPA guests, fellow volunteers, and employees.
- Must be able to work both independently and as the member of a team.
- Previous guest service or education experience preferred.
Scope of position: The On-site education specialist must be able to attend all mandatory trainings related to the position. The On-site education specialist must also to commit to either one full day shift (approximately 9 hours) or two half day shifts (approximately 4 ﾽ hours) per month. This commitment must be maintained for a duration of at least six months. Physical Demands of the Job: This job requires periods of standing and walking as well as extended periods of sitting while using a computer station.
Special Working Conditions: While this volunteer description attempts to describe the essential functions of the position, it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be asked of the volunteer.
It is the responsibility of the Volunteer Services Department to:
- Maintain records for all active volunteers.
- Issue all volunteers an identification badge and uniform shirt.
- Provide ongoing support and assistance with volunteer/staff relationships.
- Administer and provide information regarding opportunity and benefits available for active volunteers.
- Provide a written reference pertaining to the volunteer's experience (hours contributed, length of commitment, job description) as requested.
Please submit an application online at: www.thelivingplanet.com
New Volunteer Interviews are held quarterly; January, April, July, October.
Loveland Living Planet Aquarium is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. LLPA does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status, or on the basis of other protected class under federal, state, or local laws.
Skills Desired: Education/Training,Spanish Language,Public Speaking/Meeting Facilitation
- Training Provided
How To Apply
Share your passion for our living planet, and help guests Explore, Discover, and Learn. Participants in the LLPA Volunteer Program are valuable members of our team. LLPA volunteers participate in a variety of roles, and are an integral part of daily operations, events, and special projects at the aquarium.
New Volunteer interviews are conducted on a quarterly basis in January, April, July, and October.
Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis.
The link to apply can be found at https://thelivingplanet.com/volunteer/
In addition to an application, applicants must submit a resume to email@example.com . Applicants 17 years of age or younger must submit letters of recommendation. Background checks are required for applicants 18 years of age or older