Research Geneticist - volunteer position at HHP
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Human Health Project
Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
2271 Vandalia Avenue
Human Health Project (HHP) is a global nonprofit organization dedicated to helping individuals increase their health knowledge through the sharing of health information. HHP collects, analyzes, and shares health information to empower and inform individuals to achieve better health outcomes. Our patient-centered approach enables patients and caregivers to choose treatments based on evidence-based clinical data as well as the cumulative knowledge of the HHP community.
For more Information about HHP, please visit our website: https://www.humanhealthproject.org/
We are looking for a versatile scientist with experience in DNA sequence and/or micorarray analysis to work closely with our team of scientists and informatics staff, as well as a consultant for customer projects.
This person will become an expert on our next-generation sequence (NGS) analysis platform, analyze customer and internal human NGS and associated data, assist with troubleshooting and developing custom analysis tools, and help to develop documentation and support materials.
These responsibilities require development of a collaborative working relationship with our informatics groups to give feedback on our systems and define strategies and content to further improve the analysis and interpretation of whole exome/whole genome data. In this regard, some bioinformatics experience is highly desirable, as are strong communication skills.
Our mature informatics pipeline was developed and validated using whole genome sequence data on hundreds of thousands of patients. It begins with the raw sequence data and results in comprehensive variant calls, tumor-specific calls, and variant annotations along with raw BAM data stored in our novel sequence database infrastructure.
These data and results are efficiently accessible through our validated web-based sequence analysis tools that integrate public domain disease variant and annotation datasets.
The raw sequence data underlying potential pathogenic variants in germline or tumor sequences are immediately visualized for confirmation using our genome browser.
This user-friendly system significantly reduces hands on time for the analysis and interpretation of sequence-based tests.
The successful candidate will be located at our Cambridge site and will work directly with partner medical centers and pharmaceutical companies in interpretation of research and clinical sequencing tests using our informatics systems.
- 4-6 years of experience within Biotech or Pharmaceutical company.
- Biology PhD with experience in NGS and/or -omics data analysis
- Bioinformatics experience is desirable
- Experience in human genetics is a plus
- Must be willing to travel occasionally (conferences, booth personnel)
- Outstanding problem solving and interpersonal skills
- Strong written and verbal communication
By unlocking the unique talents of a varied pool of individuals, we foster the kind of collaboration and innovation that yield truly great work.
- We have clear, professional and respectful communication with everyone
- We are all responsible for cutting-edge innovation
- We are a TEAM
- We balance critical thinking with execution
- We care about employee’s professional and personal fulfillment
- We are a entrepreneurial EEO employer committed to a diverse and dynamic workplace.
How To Apply