Microfinance Volunteer Program
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Africa Sustainable Tourism Care Foundation
Times of day
A few hours per week
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Lwanga Zone LC1, Kibuye Parish, Makindye Division West Constituency
P.O. Box 29523, Kampala, Uganda – East Africa
Volunteers with an interest in entrepreneurship and finance will gain practical work experience with our Microfinance volunteer program while making a worthy contribution to developing countries. This internship is ideal for students interested in business, international development, and microcredit or professionals looking to gain international experience.
The project will contribute towards wealth creation and a reduction in the number of rural men and women living below the poverty line in Uganda. This will be achieved by increasing economic opportunities as a result of the provision of access to local self-managed savings and loans groups and providing the skills, knowledge and support necessary to enable people to establish or expand IGAs. This will improve household cash flows level and enable people to invest in IGAs and improve their profitability. This will better equip people to overcome income shocks.
Therefore overall aim of the microfinance project is to improve the livelihoods of poor and marginalized households in Uganda through improving their access to financial services and to improve the framework for sustainable financial services and access to financial services for poor households and micro, small, and medium enterprises through the establishment of Village Savings and Lending Associations (VSLA) also referred to as Village Banks and to contribute towards sustainable economic development by providing local individuals, groups and communities with the proper skills training and micro-loans to grow their businesses, create new jobs and help break the cycle of poverty and hunger.
The Volunteer’s Role
The aim of the microfinance project is to contribute towards sustainable economic development by providing local individuals, groups and communities with the proper skills training and micro-loans to grow their businesses, create new jobs and help break the cycle of poverty and hunger. Through working with volunteers we develop small business ideas, basic bookkeeping skills and conduct weekly workshops on topics related to micro-credit, computer literacy and vocation skills training. Hence as a Microfinance intern or volunteers, they will undertake various roles during their internships.
General Definition of Work
- As a Micro-Finance Volunteer you will work directly work with the rural communities to provide technical support and training to small local businesses (Small Medium Enterprise - SME) and help entrepreneurs in order to secure their means of a livelihood and develop a sustainable future for themselves. These enterprises include craft market vendors, , pig and poultry farming, soap making, baking goods, local tourist guides, fruit sellers, horticulture initiatives, and community associations.
- You will perform tasks such as helping to develop business plans, developing marketing strategies, conducting workshops, providing business guidance and support, and more.
- You will help to establish facilities for credit such as the Village Saving and Lending Association (VSLA)) in order to enable underdeveloped and poor communities to expand.
Volunteers will perform tasks such as reading though business plans, developing marketing strategies, conducting workshops, providing business guidance and support, and more. We encourage our volunteers to consider sustainability in their volunteer work and activities at the project. Sustainable projects build capacity and enable locals to make improvements in their own communities whereas handouts lead to dependency
For more information, please visit our website at www.africasustainabletouris.org or contact us by email at email@example.com
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
Complete and submit our online application form with the details of your chosen program and dates. You will then receive an email confirming that ASTCF has received your application. Within 48 hours (2 working days), you will receive an email from your ASTCF Principle Program Consultant acknowledging your application and confirming the project and dates of your volunteer program. In this email, you will receive more information about your chosen program, as well as details on how to pay the non refundable deposit on your program of US$150 which is required to validate and initiate the application process and to secure your placement. It will only take you a short time to complete this form: Online application.