The English Teachers play a main role for En Vía's English Program. You will have the possibility to plan interactive lesson for kids and adults and help us evaluate the progress of each student. While volunteering with En Vía, you will get a deeper understanding for the daily life in the communities around Oaxaca and help to open up more future opportunities for your English students.
This is a perfect opportunity for someone who wants to improve their teaching skills, get a deeper understanding of educational processes and enjoys working with kids and adults in a creative way. You should be open to new cultural experiences and have a high level of flexibility. A strong sense motivation, creativity and fluency in English (written and oral) are essential. Teaching experience and a good level of Spanish are useful, but are not necessary. You will receive teacher training before you teach your first lesson. And you will have access to a curriculum outline with the learning goals for each class, activity resources, games, materials, etc.
We currently teach in 2 communities within the Tlacolula Valley: Teotitlán del Valle and Tlacochahuaya. In Teotitlán del Valle, we teach on Tuesdays and Thursdays with two sessions, 4-5 p.m. and 5-6 p.m. and in Tlacochahuaya our classes are on Mondays and Wednesdays with two sessions, 4-5 p.m. and 5-6 p.m. We normally travel in public transportation.
· Planning lessons using provided curriculum.
· Leading your own class of 4-8 students.
· Evaluate lessons and present a final summary sheet of what was taught in each class.
· Build relationships with students, teachers, community and staff members.
· Fluent English (oral and written).
· Demonstrate commitment to social change and community development.
· High flexibility (materials and classroom may vary).
· Excellent people skills: outgoing, friendly, warm and professional.
· Ability and passion for teaching and building relationships with individuals from different backgrounds.
· High motivation and creativity.
· Ability to work in a team.
Preferred Experience (but not required)
· Prior tutoring/teaching experience.
· Experience volunteering.
· Living abroad.
· Attending teacher training and debriefing sessions.
· Weekly commitment: minimum 2 days or maximum 4 days a week, either Monday/Wednesday or/and Tuesday/Thursday with 2 hours of teaching (4-6 p.m.) each day, keeping in mind that you will need extra time to plan your lessons and travel to the communities (typically takes about an hour each way in public transportation).
· Minimum 2 months (with possibility of 1 month). We prefer long-term volunteers.
· Submit final report of your courses.
· There is no cost to volunteer with our organization. However, volunteers are asked to pay for their own transportation to and from the communities, which is usually 40 pesos round-trip.
· This is an unpaid volunteer position. At this time, En Vía doesn’t provide assistance with housing or living costs, but we can give you recommendations of housing in or around the city.
The English Teachers play a main role for En Vía's English Program. You will have the possibility to plan interactive lesson for kids and adults and help us evaluate the progress of each student. While volunteering with En Vía, you will get a…