Times of day
A few hours per week
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Hola Cultura is a DC based, non-profit bilingual and bicultural organization that uses the arts and humanities as a means to inform, educate and promote civic engagement within the Latino community in Washington, DC. It is our core belief that the strategic development of strong cultural capital within the Latino community is crucial to our overall well-being and economic development of our communities. Become part of a growing organization that is filling a key need in the Latino community!
As an Editorial volunteer, you will fulfill your passion for the arts and proven storytelling, research and fact-checking. Hola Cultura’s Editorial volunteers attend local Latino events and performances and write articles, interviews with the artists, and reviews of art, music, theater, and new books by Hispanic writers. By becoming an Editorial volunteer with Hola Cultura, you will participate in a wide array of events, chronicle DC’s Latino lifestyle with as much flare as the culture makers themselves, and share with the cyber-World your experience and thoughts. You will work hand in hand with a professional team in developing content to post on Hola Cultura’s website, the platform that connects the DC art and humanities scene with the World.
- Bachelor's Degree or enrolled towards a college or graduate degree in journalism, languages, creative writing, or other relevant field
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Ability to prioritize projects with minimum supervision
- Technology oriented
- Effective communication skills in English
- Bilingual English/Spanish communication skills--a plus
- Ability to remain objective and engage with people of all viewpoints
Duties and responsibilities
- Work closely with Hola Cultura’s editorial staff to develop story ideas and produce original work for weekly and monthly deadlines;
- Produce articles, videos or other original online content for www.holacultura.com;
- Work independently with guidance, editing and mentorship from Hola Cultura’s editors;
- Take part in TamalFest DC’s media team, producing interviews and other media about the festival and the TamalFest chefs;
- Assist with social media and website updates to gain followers and to promote events and campaigns;
- Other duties, as needed.
Salary: This is an unpaid volunteer position
Duration: This volunteer position if for the FALL semester (from September to December)
Number of vacancies: 1
Location: This volunteer position is located in the Washington, DC metro area
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
Please send your resume and writing sample in PDF format.