Opportunity Skill-Up - AmeriCorps - Service Training Opportunity for Youth
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Arizona Serve
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Tucson, Arizona, 85701
PIMA COUNTY JTED/GooDwill industries/
united way of tucson
300 Hour Position
Service Location: Tucson, AZ
Service Dates: June 1, 2018 - August 17, 2018
CONTACT: 520-230-2155 or firstname.lastname@example.org
I. ORGANIZATIONAL PURPOSE AND BACKGROUND
Opportunity Skill-up is seeking Opportunity Youth in the Tucson area that are currently enrolled at the local re-engagement center. Youth will serve as an AmeriCorps member for the summer and work with Pima JTED to build job skills while assisting non-profit organizations in the community.
Participants in Opportunity Skill-up will work with local non-profit organizations to increase their capacity to deliver services, while also learning employability skills, and will refine a career pathway plan and leave the program with three to four new technical or job skills. Each participant will have the opportunity to obtain increased employment opportunities, four college credits through Prescott College, and a clear plan for the use of their education award.
II. PROJECT FOCUS AREAS AND ACTIVITIES
A. Training and support:
· Participate in training provided by JTED in Professional Skills, financial literacy, and resume building.
· Interview with local non-profit agencies and participate in matching process.
B. Work experience and skill-building:
· Work with a local non-profit agency to provide needed services.
· Partner with the JTED mentor to identify areas of strength and improvement.
· Work with the re-engagement center to do youth outreach on a weekly basis.
C. Complete pathway plan:
· Work with the JTED counselor or mentor to complete a career pathway plan.
· Complete STU100 at Pima Community College/dual enrolled with JTED to assist with skills needed to be successful in college level courses.
· Complete a revised resume to reflect new work and professional skills gained over the summer.
III. Requirements and Benefits
A. Education, Skills and Abilities
o Age 17 or older
o Ability to work as a part of a team
AmeriCorps State Member Benefits (Summer Associate)
● AmeriCorps State Summer members receive a $2,000 living allowance during their term of service
● Upon completion of service, part-time (300 hour) AmeriCorps members receive a $1230.69 education award that can be applied to educational costs or student loans
● Members participate in 10 (2-hour) trainings that qualify them for a Certificate in Civic Leadership and 4 college credits from Prescott College
● Team support and coaching
Arizona Serve is committed to implementing inclusive practices in the workplace. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, age, ethnic background, sex, disability, size, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. Those who have marginalized identities, whether or not those identities provide protected status, are encouraged to apply.
Prescott College is a proud participant in the Employers of National Service initiative. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided