Times of day
A few hours per month
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Multiple Locations in DC, MD, and Northern VA
Volunteer with us!
YoKid has a variety of ways to get involved which include volunteering to:
- Teach yoga to kids and/or teens (stipends provided at the end of the season)
- Join the Karma Crew to share your talents outside of teaching (volunteer/pro-bono only)
- Volunteer with the National Kids Yoga Conference.
We need YOUR energy for our organization to thrive and would LOVE to have you join our team of volunteers.
What is the Karma Crew?
It’s an opportunity to volunteer with YoKid outside of teaching.
This is a great way to support the mission if your schedule prevents you from being able to teach in an after-school program or if our mission strongly resonates with you and you’d like to give back in other ways outside of teaching
Ways to be involved outside of teaching:
- Office Administration
- Weekend Events
- Event Planning
Be a YoKid Yoga Teacher & Mentor
We’d love to have you join our team! Prior to applying, please take a moment to review best fits for this opportunity.
- Having your own transportation – many of our sites are not metro accessible. We provide teachers with yoga mats to bring to the schools they teach at which are much easier to transport with a car.
- Afternoon availability at least once a week.
- Flexibility and patience! Logistics is the most challenging piece to teaching us and finding a site that works for both the teacher and site needs.
Dates & Times
Prior to submitting an application, please review the needs below to confirm you could teach at least one of the classes at the dates/times/locations below.
Alexandria & Lorton
- City of Alexandria – 4:00 pm – 5:00 pm classes occur Monday-Friday (one day commitment only – preference given to those able to commit to multiple classes)
- City of Alexandria – 2:55 – 3:55 pm on Wednesday
- Lorton – 4:15 – 5:15 pm on Thursday
District of Columbia
- Georgetown – 4-5:00 pm on Thursday and Friday
- Washington, DC (NE) – 4-5:00 pm on Friday
- Washington, DC (SE & SW) – 4 pm and/or 5 pm on Tuesday and Thursday
- Bethesda – 3:35 -4:45 pm on Friday
- Rockville – 3:35-4:45 pm on Wednesday
- Rockville – 5:00-5:45 pm on Tuesday
- Silver Spring – 4:00 – 5:00 pm on Wednesday
Prior to submitting an application, please carefully read the information below.
- New Teacher Application: https://bit.ly/2LBPXll
- Returning Teacher Application: https://bit.ly/2LSvgAS
Orientation and 20-Hour Kids/Teen Yoga Training
All teachers must complete the orientation and the 20-hour kids/teen training to lead teach with YoKid. If you are unable to make the 20-hour training, you may assistant teach upon completion of the orientation.
Orientation Dates – Attendance Required
- Tuesday, September 5 – 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm
20 Hour Kids/Teen Yoga Training Dates – Required to Lead Teach
- September 15 – 16 (Alexandria)
- September 29-30 (Bethesda)
NOTE: Those accepted into the volunteer program, receive a discount on YoKid trainings. YoKid teachers receive this training for $150 which is a reduced rate from the $410 market value.Once accepted as a volunteer, a discount code will be provided to you to register for the 20-hour training.
More training information: https://www.yokid.org/20-hr-basic-courses-registration/
We serve schools in DC, Maryland, and Virginia. Our sites for the upcoming school year will be confirmed in September. On the volunteer application, you will select your top 3 locations for areas to teach. We will do our best to match you up with your first or second choice.
- Committed to teach at least 1 yoga class per week (no classes on the weekends)
- Committed for the full season for up to 12 weeks, classes are usually between the hours of 3pm-5pm
- Dedicated 1.5-3 hours to volunteering for one class which includes commute time (location dependent)
- Able to communicate openly, promptly, and frequently (via texts, email, and phone calls)
- Reliable (i.e. returning materials, being timely, returning mats)
- Able to providing at least 2 weeks’ notice for planned absences
- Able to participate in volunteer orientation session, trainings and planned volunteer meetings
What Volunteers Can Expect from YoKid
- Support by providing curriculum, check-ins, and training opportunities
- Working to establish a community through events and opportunities to connect with other volunteers
- Access to the YoKid Network
Commitment Dates for Fall 2018
Season Dates: September-November/December and January – April
Number of weeks: Each program ranges from 8-12 weeks
Because of the level of commitment required and nature of working with kids, potential volunteers must complete the following process prior to being considered for selection.
- Submit an online application (see above)
- Complete a background check
You will be notified within 1-2 business days following your interview of your selection.
Volunteer selected will be required to complete the following:
- 20-hour Kid/Teen Yoga Teacher Training through YoKid provided at a reduced cost*
- Volunteer Orientation
*If you have already completed your 20-hour training through YoKid or another Kid Yoga Training you meet this requirement and are only required to attend the volunteer orientation session.
20-Hour Kid/Teen Yoga Teacher Training Dates
YoKid teachers receive this training for $150 which is a reduced rate from the $410 market value.
September 15 – 16 (Alexandria)
September 29-30 (Bethesda)
You’re Ready to Teach!
After completing the volunteer orientation and 20 hour training (if needed and available), you are ready to teach. You will have the support of YoKid and other volunteers throughout your volunteer teaching experience!
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided