Skateboarding Program Leader (skatepark in Peru)
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by SKIP - Supporting Kids in Peru
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Calle Mayta Capac 1325
Rio Seco, El Porvenir
SKIP is a charity working with disadvantaged families in an impoverished district of the city of Trujillo, Peru. Our holistic programmes focus on the educational, economic, emotional and social development of each child and family. It is our aim to foster the capacity of children and families to be the principal agents of change in their own lives.
The Skatepark programme
SKIP is super excited about this 1 year old project to run a skatepark which has just been built in a school by a fantastic partner organisation who will be handing over the long term running of the park to us. We will provide skateboarding lessons to children in mornings and afternoons, during their sports classes. In addition to learning about skateboarding, the children will also be responsible for keeping the skatepark area clear from trash, and watering and caring for the plants which surround it.This project provides an opportunity for students to participate regularly and safely in the physical activity of skateboarding and to learn important social and interpersonal skills, contributing to psychological well-being, physical capacity, and the ability to cope with stress. Through this program we aim to foster physical exercise, self expression and develop positive socio-interactions.
The Skatepark Program Leader will conduct skateboarding classes several times per week at the skatepark, for children aged 6-18 years old.
We have a teaching curriculum and will set out the structure for the classes to teach the kids to skate. As the skatepark leader you would be able to work with the remote skatepark supervisor to alter and add to the curriculum in ways that you feel would improve the program.
At the skatepark you will be expected to actively engage the children in learning activities, as well as monitoring some free skating time where appropriate, for children to develop their own skills. In addition, you would oversee the other skatepark volunteers from SKIP including both international and local volunteers as well as communicate with the director of the school.
- Skateboarding experience & knowledge
- Basic Spanish
- Passion for working with children
- Minimum 4 week commitment
- First Aid training
- Experience working with children
- Intermediate Spanish
- Experience supervising or managing volunteers
The benefits of volunteering with us
In return for your invaluable participation in our volunteering programme, SKIP will provide:
- a thorough induction to the organisation, programmes, department and specific role
- structured and relevant training from fully qualified and experienced staff members - you can find bios for all of our permanent team on our website
- mentoring and support in the form of regular supervision and staff meetings as well as informal sessions
- the chance to be a part of a diverse and dedicated team and a welcoming community
- confirmation of volunteer service
- if combined with the volunteer leader role 50/50 then free housing is provided and the contribution fee is waived
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers