Volunteer with WHEAT in its Anti-Hunger & Poverty Programs for Service Learning Credit
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by WHEAT (World Hunger Education, Advocacy & Training)
A few hours per week
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
4000 N 7th St, Ste. 118
Founded in 1979, the World Hunger Education, Advocacy & Training organization (WHEAT) is one of the leading Arizona-based organizations working on anti-hunger issues affecting low-income families and individuals. WHEAT specializes in education, empowerment and motivation oriented toward civic, faith-based and educational organizations providing factual data, practical policy decisions and produces solid curriculum for all age levels accessible to individuals and organizations at national, state and local levels, to nonprofit organizations and to the media.
WHEAT seeks highly motivated individuals not in school, undergraduate and graduate students, as well as recent graduates, for volunteer service learning programs:
Communications | State Policy Watch (health, housing, nutrition, food security) | Local & Global Food Security Issues | Nonprofit Fundraising | Nonprofit Management | Outreach Campaigns | Nonprofit Marketing & Promotion | Nonprofit Event Planning
The opportunities are available for the fall, spring, and summer semesters. Not all positions are available every semester. WHEAT Service Learning Experiences are particularly helpful for students in Women Studies, Education, Political Science and Social Work.
The positions are designed to reflect the student's interests in conjunction with WHEAT’s needs and the legislative climate. Applicants should have research, fact-gathering, writing, analytic, and computer skills and a willingness to do administrative as well as substantive tasks.
WHEAT's offices are located in central Phoenix on 7th Street just south of Indian School Road on the northwest corner of 7th Street and Fairmount.
- Training Provided
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
• There are no deadlines for applications, however, we suggest applicants apply as soon as possible as school deadlines may apply.
• In most cases, decisions are made within a few days of receiving the application.
• All service learning with WHEAT are UNPAID.
• The typical length of time is one semester. Individuals interested in a second semester may qualify upon a review of WHEAT needs at the end of the first semester. There is a limit of three consecutive semester-length placements.
How to Apply
Please submit the application form found online, a current resume including education background and email to:
WHEAT Service Learning Coordinator
4000 North 7th Street, Suite 118
Phoenix, Arizona 85014
Phone: (602) 955-5076 FAX: (602) 955-5290