Board of Trustees - trustee or committee member
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Christa McAuliffe Charter School
Times of day
A few hours per month
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Christa McAuliffe Charter School
139 Newbury Street
Charter schools in Massachusetts are governed by a board of trustees instead of a school committee. The Board is a governance body that oversees the school’s faithfulness to charter, academic success, and organizational viability. McAuliffe’s Board of Trustees recognizes the importance of seeking new board members annually to keep the trustees’ skills and school’s needs aligned and to ensure a robust and active board.
This is an exciting time to become a McAuliffe trustee!
- Mission-Driven: In December 2017, we became a credentialed EL Education school! Click here to view our EL Education credentialing portfolio.
- Academic Success: McAuliffe is the most academically successful middle school in the town of Framingham and is focused on continuing to close our achievement gaps to ensure all scholars are making academic progress. Click here to read the 2017 Executive Director’s letter to families.
- Organizationally Viable: For at least the last 5 years, the school has operated with a financial surplus to be invested in capital projects; the annual audit has included no findings. Click here to view our FY17 audit. We also continue to grapple with increasing teacher pay while maintaining a fiscally responsible budget.
- Restorative Practices and School Culture: We’re taking some important steps to integrate more restorative practices into our work with scholars when they make poor choices.
- Dissemination: We want to build relationships with local public schools and expand our work with districts to share what we learn through our work at McAuliffe with other middle schools: Crew, teaching Habits of Work and Learning, restorative practices, instructional coaching, etc.
- Strategic Planning: The Board of Trustees is currently in the process of building a strategic plan through 2023 which will include programmatic goals as well as goals pertaining to the next stage of campus improvement.
McAuliffe’s Board of Trustees provides oversight and contributions to these important initiatives. We serve as thought partners with the Executive Director and other school leaders by guiding leaders to think about issues from many angles. We also share our individual expertise to initiatives that best match with our skill sets and interests.
Board meetings are open to the public and are typically held one Tuesday per month, 6:30pm - 8:30pm at the school.
If you are interested in learning about / considering McAuliffe’s Board, please attend an upcoming Board meeting: October 30, November 27, January 29, February 26, March 26, April 30, May 21, June 25
The Board employs committees to determine and enact policy, oversee academic success, monitor the School’s finances, supervise/evaluate the Executive Director, and ensure strong board operations. Most board members sit on at least one committee and many board members sit on more than one committee. In rare cases, a board member may contribute to the Board and School via non-committee involvement. Standing Board committees include education, finance, audit, governance, development, and executive. Each committee has a charter with a specific set of responsibilities.
Committees currently meet at the following times:
- Audit: 2-3 times per year, typically Friday morning or just prior to a Board meeting.
- Education: One Tuesday afternoon per month, 4:00pm - 5:00pm.
- Development: Bi Monthly on Mondays at noon.
- Finance: One Friday morning per month: 7:00/7:30am - 8:00/8:30am.
- Governance & Executive: One Tuesday evening per month, 5:00/5:30 - 6:30.
What Makes a Great McAuliffe Board Member?
Excellent prospective board members possess many of the following qualities:
- Interest in contributing to the future of the school.
- Willingness to share perspectives, ask difficult questions, evaluate alternatives, and make informed and timely decisions.
- Personal or professional affiliations with the MetroWest region.
- Strong communication skills and an ability to work in teams.
Why Serve on the McAuliffe Board?
Serving on the McAuliffe board offers unique opportunities:
- to shape the future of McAuliffe and establish the school as a model charter & middle school in the state.
- to positively impact the recruitment and retention of excellent and diverse McAuliffe educators.
- to build partnerships with local universities, public school systems, and businesses.
- to expand the resources we provide our scholars.
Learn More! Visit the School!
To learn more about McAuliffe’s Board of Trustees board, please attend an upcoming Board meeting! If you’d like to visit the school, please contact Kristin Harrison, Executive Director: email@example.com.
- Training Provided
How To Apply
- Email the Chair of the Board of Trustees (Bob Berman) to express your interest: firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to getting to know you over the coming months. Please know that our intention is to take time to get to know you and for you to get to know the school and our board so that we can all (you included!) determine whether board membership will be a good fit for you!
We encourage you to take ownership of the process and know that it does -- intentionally -- take time. Be in touch if you have any questions!