Times of day
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Masa Tlanezcalli Center
2770 Third Avenue
We are seeking dedicated volunteers to provide tutoring and homework help to elementary and middle school students at our South Bronx community center.
Masa's After-school Program operates on weekday evenings (Mondays-Thursdays) from 6 PM—8PM. At the program, students receive homework help, grow as readers, learn how to set goals and achieve them, and engage in critical thinking about the world around them.
Masa's 2018-2019 After-School Program (MAP) will start on September 12, 2018 and run through May 23, 2019. Volunteers are admitted on a rolling basis.
Requirements are as follows:
· Ability to volunteer consistently for at least one of the following days: Monday (6 PM - 8 PM); Tuesday (6 PM - 8 PM); Wednesday (6 PM - 8 PM); or Thursday (6 PM - 8 PM).
· Able to commit to volunteering for all or most of the 2018-2019 academic year (college students who will leave NYC in May are still eligible to volunteer). When working with children, consistency is the key to success!
· Willingness and ability to serve as a tutor/homework facilitator to elementary or middle school students in an individual or small group setting.
· Willingness and ability to discuss topics related to social justice with students. These include discussing the Black Lives Matter movement, immigrant rights, the history of indigenous people in the Americas, and LGBTQIA+ rights.
· Attend mandatory Masa trainings and events (provided advance notice and multiple options for scheduling).
· Committed to following all Masa policies and procedures, including with respect to confidentiality
· Provide feedback on student progress and/or concerns to Masa staff.
- Training Provided