Medical student for a cool clinic in Guatemala!
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Health&Help Medical Clinic
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Health&Help takes medical care to another level: we do whatever we can to change the quality of lives for those beyond the poverty line. Proper healthcare assistance results in our patients becoming more positive, showing hope and a constant smiles on their faces.
Health&Help believes anybody can make this world a better place, even if there is not much experience or a yet completed degree. That’s why we are always eager to welcome medical students to our mentoring program.
Health&Help’s medical students are not afraid to take responsibility on, finding the strength to provide medical attention 24/7. Your actions and professionalism affect our patients’ loyalty to the clinic and course of treatment. Their well-being is in your hands.
A successful candidate is:
- Expected to stay for at least 1 week;
- Is tolerant and accepting of foreign cultures and lifestyles;
- Has previous experience handling low resources situations (camping, distant places);
- Is independent and confident when finding themselves in a new situation, e.g. being in a foreign country and/or having to hitchhike;
- Always ready to assist and good in his/her own field;
- Detail and goal-oriented;
- Kind and caring;
- Believes that the patient is his/her number one concern and does everything to make him/her feel comfortable;
- Handles emergency and critical situations well;
- An emerging leader, true team player, a sharer rather than a protector; has the ability to juggle with several matters at one time;
- Has an appropriate degree and speaks English fairly (B1) and Spanish well (B2); Russian language skills are a plus.
The responsibilities of the role include:
- Patients’ examinations on-site and in field, assisting doctors during consultations (general practice, gynaecology, obstetrics, pediatrics, endocrinology, dermatology, otolaryngology infectious diseases);
- Escorting patients to their houses and making home visits;
- Performing necessary procedures, such as injections, vaccinations, CPR, suture, ingrown nails’ removal, abscess drainage;
- Carrying out tests, such as pregnancy, blood sugar, hemoglobin, STDs, HIV, Type A and B Hepatitis;
- Reading vitals by using EKG, doppler, spirometry;
- Prescribing drugs and purchasing medical supplies;
- Handling medicine and medical instruments (accounting, sterilizing, donation management);
- Triaging patients, providing pre-examination assistance if needed;
- Keeping the papers in order;
- Being a facilitator between the volunteers and local communities, dissolving problems and neutralizing conflicts;
- Preparing and giving educational lectures on public healthcare among local citizens, both children and adults, putting up together handout materials, collaterals, posters;
- Working on infectious and other diseases prevention methods by educating local communities.
- A place to stay and hot meals to eat free of charge;
- A letter of recommendation upon request;
- A friendly team, full of professionals;
- An opportunity to develop your skills and find out more about yourself and other people and cultures;
- Endless love and gratitude from all the locals, fellow volunteers and all over the world;
- A 6-8 hours working day, 6 days a week.
Being a part of Health&Help team is an exceptional experience, which gives you the opportunity to make this world a better place at this exact moment. Don’t wait another day, apply now!
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers