SODEI is currently looking for a skilled volunteer Human Resource Director to join our team and engage with the growth of our programs in Cameroon. The role provides you with the opportunity to use your skills and experience to make a meaningful impact on Children and Youth. You will be influential in shaping how we frame our story around SODEI to the world and collaborate across the entire organization.
- contribute to the development and implementation of SODEI’ HR Strategy in support of our strategic aims;
- report to the Charity’s Executive Director;
- manage the global HR Systems, ensuring framework contributes at both a strategic and operational level to identify HR priorities and recommend appropriate volunteer management solutions in support of the organization aims;
- provide guidance and support on the full range of HR activities including policies and procedures, terms and conditions of employment, absence management, restructuring of services, recruitment, retention, performance management, volunteer relations, volunteer reward, change management and internal communications;
- support specific thematic and/or project support for global HR strategic initiatives;
- provide expert professional advice and support to senior management team.
- Work in partnership with senior management team in supporting volunteers through organizational change.
- Ensure HR Systems (process and practices) support change, meet legislative and donor agencies requirements.
- Lead the implementation of restructuring processes, including preparation of formal consultation documents, determine appropriate selection principles and methods, facilitating re-deployment and guiding teams through situations.
- Lead and support the HR Systems at the country level to facilitate the engagement.
- Lead HR team on developing:
- Retention and Development - introduce a talent management framework
- Reward, Compensation and Benefits - oversee the pay review process; advise on, coordinate and analyse pay levels for various donor-funded projects
- Volunteer Engagement - support the programs and projects with specific employee engagement initiatives, including the survey completion and follow up
- Collaborate with senior management team to provide expert guidance, coaching and support on a full range of HR activities (including policies and procedures, to ensure a consistent and fair approach to people management throughout the organization.
- Keep up to date with legal developments and advise management on compliance and risk factors. Manage investigations, disciplinary and grievance matters in conjunction with senior management team.
- Provide advice and guidance on individual employee relations cases, ensuring that these are well managed and meet the requirements of the organisation’s policies, best practice and legislation.
- Develop, implement and maintain HR policies and procedures to ensure effective, fair and consistent management of volunteer staff throughout the organization.
- Ensure line managers and staff are aware of the policies and procedures and able to operate them effectively.
- Collaborate with lead-manager, People and Policy Excellence to develop and implement policies on issues such as performance management, disciplinary procedures and absence management.
Recruitment and Employee Data
- Manage the information held on the HR database and personnel files to ensure it is updated in a timely and accurate manner and complies with any legal or data protection policies.
- Design and implement the SODEI Recruitment Strategy.
- Monitor HR trends throughout the organisation and provide information to SODEI Directorate as appropriate.
- Contribute to the evaluation and development of the current Performance Management Cycle (PMC) and make recommendations for improvement to senior Management team.
- A self-starter who works independently and enjoys creating new initiatives
- Educated to minimum degree level standard together with professional HR qualification
- 4-5 years experience of reviewing and drafting HR policies, procedures and guidelines and of developing and implementing systems (including HR IT systems)
- Experience working cross-functionally with staff and team leads in an international organization to resolve issues and proactively identify root causes
- Ability to work at both strategic and operational levels
- Ability to challenge the status quo, look around corners, and apply data to large scale strategic engagement initiatives
- Proven ability to coach, mentor, advise and partner with stakeholders at varying levels of seniority
- Experience of working in high pressure, fast paced environments and able to deal with ambiguity and change in those contexts
- Strong critical thinking, problem-solving and analytical skills
- Ability to be discreet and maintain confidentiality
- Understanding of international labor and employment laws and knowledge of voluntary sector
- Significant change agent experience (Essential)
Note: This is an opportunity for flexible, part-time (15 hours/week), volunteer and remote-from-home work.
Who We Are
Solidarity and Development Initiative (SODEI) is a registered non-for-fit organization whose mission is to inspire and engage children and young persons in Cameroon through innovative and creative methods of learning; and to create spaces and platforms to amplify young person’s voices and foster participation in youth and community development activities. Our work is carried through four core programs areas to include: Learn, Speak & Play (LESPLAY), Youth mentoring and leadership program, SODEI Book Club (Literacy Program) and the Girls Empowerment Program. SODEI was founded in 2018 in the wake of the conflict in the English-speaking regions of Cameroon and the devasting impact on the welfare and education of children and young persons within the region. SODEI currently operates programs in the Southwest region of Cameroon with a view to expand to other regions in the near future.