Development Team Lead / Manager - volunteer position at HHP
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Human Health Project
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
2271 Vandalia Avenue
The purpose of the Human Health Project (HHP) is to get health information and peer-to-peer support from the HHP community around the world in response to Health Experiences that are posted. An HHP member creates a health Experience on HHP’s website at www.HumanHealthProject.org. This will keep all the information about this person's health Experience in one place for his/her review, as well as for people who will be sharing information and providing or receiving support. Generally, information and support will be provided by members of the public who want to help people anonymously who have health conditions and questions. Our goal is to improve access, self-management, equity, and affordability of health care throughout the world.
HHP is a nonprofit, noncommercial, volunteer-based organization promoting the health of individuals worldwide as a human right for all.
The Development Team Lead / Manager role is to manage day to day operations of the HHP Development team. This position envisions product development and manages projects through completion; analyzes, designs and develops software enhancements and new modules; manages development projects from initial design through testing while providing strategic management direction.
- Exercises independent judgment and discretion in overall project management by prioritizing, planning and tracking project progress.
- Designs, develops and modifies programs, including prototypes.
- Solve complex performance problems and architectural challenges
- Researches product development options and provides analysis for product direction.
- Consults with internal departments to identify needs and include into project objectives.
- Provides support regarding product development to internal departments.
- Manages and directs a team of software developers. Sets expectations and goals for department and individual staff members, recruits, disciplines and trains staff.
- Creates related documentation.
- Evaluate and identify appropriate technology platforms (including web application frameworks and the deployment stack) for delivering the company’s services.
- Lead strategic planning to achieve business goals by identifying and prioritizing development initiatives and setting timetables for the evaluation, development, and deployment of all web-based services.
- Participate as a member of the management team in establishing governance processes of direction and control to ensure that objectives are achieved, risks are managed appropriately and the organization’s resources are used responsibly.
Knowledge & Experience
- Experience with Laravel is mandatory
- Demonstrated ability to envision web-based services that meet consumer needs or solve business problems.
- A Minimum 2 years experience managing web application development.
- Strong knowledge of the common PHP or web server exploits and their solutions
- Understanding fundamental design principles behind a scalable application
- User authentication and authorization between multiple systems, servers, and environments
- Integration of multiple data sources and databases into one system
- Familiarity with limitations of PHP as a platform and its workarounds
- Experience with LAMP and LEMP servers
- Experience with DevOps practices and principles
- Experience with Continuous Integration or Continuous Delivery
- Experience with Git and GitHub
- Experience with virtualization and cloud computing
- Hands-on experience coding in more than one currently popular web application framework.
- Familiar with more than one software development methodology.
- Ability to discern user requirements and develop specifications.
- Knowledge of web standards.
- Experience with *NIX system administration and web server configuration.
- Knowledge of Internet protocols and RFC standards, database management systems, and version control systems.
- Familiarity with technical requirements of Internet marketing and search engine optimization.
- Familiarity with information security vulnerabilities and risk management.
- Familiarity with consumer privacy and payments industry compliance requirements.
- Exposure to business theory, business process development, governance processes, management, budgeting, and administrative operations.
- Personal Attributes
- Proven leadership ability.
- Ability to set and manage priorities judiciously.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to articulate ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Exceptionally self-motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Superior analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving abilities.
- Exceptional service orientation.
- Ability to motivate in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
How To Apply