C4P AmeriCorps Member
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Comprehensive Care, Community, and Culture (C4P) AmeriCorps Program
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
University of Chicago Medical Center and/or Ingalls Memorial Hospital
AmeriCorps is a national service program that involves people in "getting things done" in communities. AmeriCorps Members develop an ethic of service while strengthening local communities. Each year in Illinois, thousands of AmeriCorps Members give millions of dollars in service back to their communities. The Comprehensive Care, Community, and Culture Program (C4P) is being studied as a randomized trial at the University of Chicago and has now partnered with AmeriCorps to further its mission.
C4P builds off of the Comprehensive Care Physician Program, which offers patients with high risks of hospitalization a comprehensive care physician (CCP) to care for them in the hospital as well as in the clinic. In addition to receiving care from a CCP, C4P patients are regularly asked about a range of unmet social needs, are given access to a community health worker, and are provided an opportunity to participate in community-based arts and culture programming. The program aims to improve the overall health and well-being of patients by addressing a wide range of both medical and social needs.
AmeriCorps Members with C4P will be responsible for extending the reach of the C4P model to impact patients' experiences with care, improve health outcomes, lower hospitalization rates, and resolve unmet social needs for the patient population. Members will be based at the University of Chicago Medical Center or Ingalls Memorial Hospital, and will participate in the following ways:
- Recruit Medicare patients of diverse ages who are at increased risk of hospitalization for a program designed to serve their medical and social needs;
- Assess patients for unmet social needs;
- Directly serve these patients as community resources specialists and through the implementation of community-based arts and culture programming;
- Help evaluate the effects of the program; and
- Leverage volunteers to help recruit participants and evaluate the program.
While completing the 1700 hours of service, C4P AmeriCorps Members will:
- Receive a living allowance for the year, which will be disbursed biweekly; health insurance; child care benefits for those eligible; and be awarded a Segal Education grant (transferrable to a family member for those over the age of 55);
- Have the opportunity to complete a certificate program at the University of Chicago; and
- Gain experience and knowledge of research and the health care system while having opportunities for professional development and regular field supervision.
C4P AmeriCorps Members must (a) be 18 years of age or older, (b) be a US citizen or legal resident, and (c) have a high school diploma or equivalent - some college preferred. We strongly encourage applicants over the age of 55 and from diverse backgrounds to apply!
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided
How To Apply
Please visit the C4P AmeriCorps Program webpage (URL provided above) and follow the link to the application form.
For any questions or concerns, please contact Kelsey Bogue, Associate Director of Training and Communications for the Center on Health and the Social Sciences (CHeSS) at the University of Chicago (firstname.lastname@example.org or 773-702-4401). Thank you!