Nicaragua: afterschool youth programs and activities
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Proyecto CocoMango
Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Laguna de Apoyo
About Proyecto CocoMango
We are a grassroots community project located in the nature reserve of the Laguna de Apoyo, Nicaragua - a volcanic crater lake located 30 minutes from the cities of Granada and Masaya. Our mission is to expand educational and artistic opportunities, protect the environment, and develop social and economic resources for the Laguna de Apoyo and neighboring communities.
Since the organization’s establishment in 2014, we run a high school scholarship program, an after school camp, adult Spanish literacy, and English classes for our community.
With only two individuals working full-time on CocoMango activities, volunteers are essential to our success and are integral members of our team!!! Volunteers may become involved in the following ways, and we are also open to new ideas:
At the local primary school:
- Teach English as a second language (ESL)
- Assist the kindergarten teacher in lesson/activity preparation & execution (intermediate Spanish required)
After school camp:
- Serve as an after school homework helper (basic Spanish helpful)
- Plan and carry out fun, hands-on activities focused on the environment, art or sports
- Prepare & teach 1-hour interactive English lessons to youth, ages 8+
- Prepare & teach 1-hour fun educational sessions to kids, ages 7 and below (intermediate Spanish required)
- Prepare & teach 1-hour computer literacy
- Teach beginner English classes at night to a mixture of youth and adults
- Teach music classes, e.g. guitar (create your own schedule!)
- Develop promotional materials
- Maintain our website
- Update our social media (Facebook, website)
- Help write our monthly newsletter
- Lead soccer practices or dance classes (basic Spanish helpful)
- Assist with our fundraising efforts, e.g. bar trivia!
Whether your passion is teaching, theater, dance, swimming, yoga, writing, athletics, drawing, building, or music, we could use your assistance and helping hands. However, we do recommend:
- Intermediate Spanish
- Fluent English
- Minimum 1-month commitment
- Independence, flexibility, and creativity
- Ability to live and work with others
Food and lodgment
Lodging is available at our project near the lake. Private room, meals (with open access to the kitchen), filtered water, and Wi-Fi are provided for $100 / week.
*Discounts offered for long term volunteers (5 months or longer)
There are many ways to have fun on your spare time. You can…
- Visit nearby volcanoes
- Tour the famous islands of Granada
- Check out the community market in Masaya
- Play ultimate Frisbee with us on Tuesdays!
- Hang-out at Paradiso Hostel! Free access to ping-pong, kayaks, bocci:https://www.hostelparadiso.com
Language/Cultural Support Available
How To Apply
You may send an email of interest to email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you soon!