Office Title: Legal Volunteer/Volunteer Attorney
Division: General Counsel
Work Location: 42 Broadway, NY, NY
The NYC Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) protects and enhances the daily economic lives of New Yorkers to create thriving communities. DCA licenses more than 81,000 businesses in more than 50 industries and enforces key consumer protection, licensing, and workplace laws that apply to countless more. By supporting businesses through equitable enforcement and access to resources and, by helping to resolve complaints, DCA protects the marketplace from predatory practices and strives to create a culture of compliance. Through its community outreach and the work of its offices of Financial Empowerment and Labor Policy & Standards, DCA empowers consumers and working families by providing the tools and resources they need to be educated consumers and to achieve financial health and work-life balance. DCA also conducts research and advocates for public policy that furthers its work to support New York City’s communities. For more information about DCA and its work, call 311 or visit DCA at nyc.gov/dca or on its social media sites, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual to serve as a Legal Volunteer or Volunteer Attorney for the General Counsel Division. The Legal Volunteer or Volunteer Attorney will assist a team of attorneys in the division with interviewing consumers, performing legal research, drafting summonses, and preparing cases for administrative hearing. DCA is committed to educating, empowering and protecting consumers; holding businesses to high standards of marketplace behavior; and achieving excellence in the delivery of innovative agency programs and services. This position is a great opportunity for law students, recent law graduates, and attorneys seeking experience in the public sector and learning about municipal consumer protection laws.
The Legal Volunteer or Volunteer Attorney will engage in the following:
- Will conduct legal research for projects, including conducting Westlaw and online research
- Will interview consumers to gather facts and evidence to support cases
- Will draft and edit summonses to be filed in an administrative tribunal
- Will handle cases at administrative hearings
- Will assist attorneys in completing day-to-day administrative tasks
- Will interact with other members of the General Counsel division, both attorneys and non-attorneys
Qualifications: Law students; recent law school graduates; individuals awaiting admission to the New York State bar or awaiting New York State bar exam results; and attorneys admitted to the New York State bar.
- Excellent legal research, writing, and organizational skills
- Interest in litigation is strongly preferred
- Self-motivated and team-oriented
- Attentive to detail and able to take direction well
- Computer skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Punctual and professional demeanor in diverse contexts
A resume, cover letter, and a writing sample are required.
Please email these documents to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this position.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
No phone calls, faxes, e-mails or personal inquiries permitted.
Important note: only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Candidates should be prepared to devote at least 12 weeks to the position and work a minimum of 15 hours per week.
DCA and The City of New York is an Equal Opportunity Employee