Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Beyond the Surface International facilitates surfing, storytelling, and mindfulness workshops in remote or marginlized small-scale fishing communities under unprecedented pressure from resource scarcities due to changing climate, collapsing ocean, and shifts in landscapes.
We are looking for a creative and stoked individual to join our team!
The News & Communications Coordinator position is ideal for someone who is passionate about the ocean, conservation, fisheries, marine wildlife, innovative climate change adaption and resilience strategies, surfing for social good, youth engagement, and the participatory media arts.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Surf the web for new stories that pertain to ocean conservation / climate change / marine degradation / innovative solutions for small-scale fishing villages / marine conservation films / something you think is interesting that relates.
- Create 5 posts on Beyond the Surface's Facebook page and five our audiovisual storytelling arm, Coast 2 Coast's Facebook page per week with these articles (problems and solutions) with engaging messages and work with us to schedule these stories.
- Write up a weekly summary of the highlights from the stories for internal discussions about innovation and current crisis.
- Work closely with our Video Content Manager to develop ideas for new videos.
It's a plus if you are currently enrolled in university or you've graduated with a university degree. We require fluency in English with excellent writing skills and it's an added bonus if you can speak another language... particularly, Spanish!
This position requires someone who can work independently and is self-motivated. We require that you work on your own computer from home or remotely.
We provide all information and training via Zoom (similar to Skype) and are available by email or phone to provide further support if needed throughout the volunteer opportunity.
This is an epic opportunity for someone who is interested in journalism, community-based conservation efforts, ocean literacy, or gaining experience in the area of international social work... and boost their CV / resume!
The ideal candidate can commit to 8-10 hours of work per week.
The volunteer opportunity is a non-salaried position. We are unable to provide a stipend or financial assistance (we sincerely wish we could). However - the good news - we are able to provide you either write you a stellar letter of recommendation or be a professional reference (considering your demonstrated commitment and performance).
- Training Provided
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
Please send us an email and outline why you'd like this position, why you think you'd be a good fit based on your passions and past experiences, and what your favorite fruit is and why.
Please include your CV / resume as an attachment to the email.
We look forward to hearing from you!