A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
What We’re Doing
At the Ubuntu Lab we are developing a new kind of public space dedicated to helping people understand people. This space will be a small neighborhood spot that combines a exhibition space dedicated to exploring issues that are in the social, cultural, and political zeitgeist, a design lab for helping people whose voice are in some way marginalized be amplified and brought into these conversations, and a cafe as a community hub to convene people in the space. For the last five years we’ve been working on the underlying foundation of this space: pedagogy, content, experience design, business models, etc. And now we are getting ready to launch.
Our Need For This Position
Over the next year we will be running a Design-a-thon, starting a quarterly Saturday academy, publishing a book, and accelerating a capital campaign for our first space. We have a special need for someone who can support our Executive Director in researching and coordinating interviews for the book, but who can also pitch in and help with the creation of “fact packs” for our design academies. The ideal researcher will have facility with both the social sciences broadly and the practices and mindset of journalism.
What You’ll Do
- Develop a research plan to support the theses of chapters
- Conduct literature reviews and chase down interesting data points
- Help prep our Executive Director for interviews with high profile global leaders
- Develop research packs on social issues ranging from diasporas to the impact of Black Panther for the design process
- Help develop a research model for our future programming
- Inform strategic planning
- Contribute to content and design of programming
What You’ll Gain
- Experience working with design and systems thinking
- Acknowledgement in the book
- Expanding your personal an professional network with our global network of leaders
- Experience working in a nonprofit environment.
- A valuable resume line (our volunteers have parlayed their involvement into careers in diversity and inclusion, educational leadership, and consulting)
- A foot in the door when we start hiring.
Who We Are
At the Ubuntu Lab we are helping people to understand people, because when we all have that literacy we can live better lives, thrive in a diverse world, and solve the greatest challenges we face together. We were founded to help spark a Public Understanding of Humanity; to support people in developing their ability to live and work in a world that is growing exponentially more diverse and interconnected by the day. We are doing this by developing the infrastructure - the spaces, resources, and communities - needed to support learners and educators in developing each of our ability to understand themselves, others, and the society we share. Our founders have worked around the world, with some of the biggest thinkers on empathy, learning, and community as well as leading global shapers and activists to develop a model of understanding and learning framework that is inclusive and impactful.
Learn more at: https://www.theubuntulab.org/aboutus/
How To Apply
Please send us an email with a short statement telling us why you are interested in working with us and something that woudlhelp us understand you that isn’t on your resume, as well as a link to your LinkedIn profile.