AmeriCorps ESL/Family Literacy Instructor
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Literacy Center of West Michigan
Literacy Center of West Michigan
1120 Monroe Avenue Northwest
The Literacy Center of West Michigan is seeking highly-effective instructors to help parents in area schools learn English and develop strategies to support their children’s literacy. The ideal candidates for this full-time teaching position will be detailed-oriented, knowledgeable of effective teaching strategies, and autonomous. This position requires the selected candidates to be screened and approved through the national AmeriCorps program.
- College degree, some coursework in education, English as a Second Language (ESL), or Linguistics highly preferred.
- Preference is given to candidates who are bilingual in Spanish.
- Excellent control of the English language and ability to think analytically about language.
- Experience teaching English Language Learners (ELL).
- Interest in family and children’s literacy issues.
- Strong relationship-building skills to develop partnerships with school staff and other agencies.
- Ability to meet weekly and monthly deadlines.
- Ability to collaborate with coworkers in a close environment, yet able to display independent decision-making.
- Demonstrated ability to use technology for word processing, email and calendaring.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and personal transportation.
- Schedule flexibility for required day and evening responsibilities.
Areas of Responsibility
English Language (ELL) Instruction
- Teach adult ELL classes to parents in Grand Rapids Public Schools and Godwin Heights Public Schools on-site at the schools.
- Develop contextualized lesson plans and activities that address learner goals and needs based on the pre-determined curriculum.
- Execute components of the Family Literacy model, including weekly parenting discussions.
- Attend school events to promote the program and recruit potential learners.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date attendance and testing records.
- Submit required data and reports by specified deadlines.
- Be supportive presence in school a few hours a week
- Prepare individualized lesson plans and tutor 1 learners one-on-one, weekly
- Collaboratively plan, coordinate, and execute monthly literacy events for the learners and their children.
- Work closely with school staff to build relationships and promote program including attending Community School Leadership Team meetings.
- Attend AmeriCorps and Family Literacy Program team meetings at the Literacy Center of West Michigan.
- Publicize the Literacy Center of West Michigan in the community.
- Participate in periodic AmeriCorps events to promote civic engagement.
- Collaboratively plan service project events for National Days of Service.
AmeriCorps Requirements and Benefits
- Must pass local, state, and national FBI background and sex offender registry check.
- Must be U.S. citizen, national, or legal permanent resident of the United States.
- Full-time (35-40 hours per week) with little time off during required service period.
- Day and evening hours necessary, with some weekend hours required.
- An Education Award of $5,920 will be available at the end of service period to members who fulfill service-hour requirements.
- Basic health insurance, childcare benefits, and loan forbearance may be provided for those who qualify.
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided