Volunteer Interpreter or Translator
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Compass Center for Women and Families
A few hours per month
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
210 Henderson Street
PO Box 1057
Compass Center Dual volunteers facilitate bilingual communication with Latinx/Limited English Proficient individuals, working to eliminate barriers to accessing services faced by diverse populations. Dual Volunteers partner with English-speaking Advocates in providing direct services, and also improve access by guiding the creation of dual language resources. Volunteers provide services at Compass Center an average of four hours a week. Responsibilities:
- Partner with English-speaking Advocate in providing direct assistance to victims of domestic violence.
- Maintain accuracy and completeness in vocabulary, tone, and meaning
- Attempt to convey emotion of source language.
- Objectively communicate content without screening out information.
- Convey any problems in understanding to both parties as soon as problems are identified so they can be resolved. Let Advocate know if unable to meet needs of client at any time.
- Work as a team with fellow Dual Language Volunteers as well as Latino Services Director to ensure effective bilingual communication
- Convey any challenges, gaps, and assets identified in working with Limited English Proficient populations so that these can be incorporated consistently.
- Work as a team with fellow volunteers in designing, revising, and completing dual-language resources for Latinx and Limited English Proficient community.
- Arrive on time and contact Latinx Services Director with as much notice as possible if you cannot be present for your assigned shift.
- Maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Practice good self-care.
- To attend the 7-hour mandatory All-Volunteer Training.
- To complete an interview with Latinx Services Director, including language screening.
- To complete a shadowing session at Compass Center for the duration of one 4-hour shift.
- To commit to interpret/translate at least 40 hours per semester.
- Minimum 9 month or two-semester commitment.
- Desire to serve diverse populations.
- Responsibility, good judgment, team spirit
- Self-motivation in developing and completing projects as well as monitoring own skills.
- Flexibility in providing services on-call or outside the office.
- Training Provided
- International Volunteers