Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Quetzaltrekkers is a non-profit organization offering adventurous hikes to tourists to the volcanoes around León, Nicaragua. Our profits go toward locally-run projects assisting at risk youth in León and in the rural areas around the volcanoes (and other areas) to which we hike. The projects we support range from a mobile library and a scholarship programme to a local organisation working with street children around the city.
Immediate start dates available.
As a volunteer at Quetzaltrekkers, you will be expected to:
- Hike three to four days per week.
- Take care of the preparation and cleanup of each hike.
- Participate in occasional projects days during which we work directly with the kids that our profits supports.
- Enjoy interacting with tourists and sharing the beauty of Nicaragua with them.
- Work a couple of office shifts per week (selling hikes and signing people up).
- Help with promotions and special events
Applicant minimum requirements:
- Enthusiastic, can-do attitude.
- Speak advanced English.
- Speak basic Spanish or be willing to learn.
- Be in good physical condition.
- Have hiking/backpacking experience.
- Have a valid First Aid certificate or be willing to acquire one.
- Commit to a minimum of three months.
Volunteers will be trained in guiding upon arrival.
Opportunities to volunteer at local not-for-profits.
Volunteers have the option of renting a room in the Quetzaltrekkers communal house which is located in the center of Leon - rent is $85 per month. Volunteers can also stay with a host family or rent a room in a shared house. The cost of living in Leon is quite low and rent typically ranges from $80-100/month.
Quetzaltrekkers will pay for one private Spanish tutoring session per week for volunteers.
Food is provided for trekking guides when they are on hikes.
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers