A few hours per month
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
1945 SE Water Ave
Greeter volunteers welcome visitors to OMSI and provide them with friendly and helpful service as they enter the museum’s exhibit halls.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Greet visitors and welcome them to the museum.
- Check for admission wristbands.
- Assist visitors in understanding the layout of the museum.
- Give clear directions and provide accurate information about events happening throughout the museum.
- Currently seeking volunteers at least 18 years of age.
- Strong customer service and communication skills.
- Outgoing personality.
- Able to speak in public and respond clearly and promptly to customer inquiries.
- Able to sit or stand in a designated area, making adjustments to positioning as needed to interact most effectively with visitors.
- Able to maintain a calm, pleasant, and cheerful demeanor in a variety of atmospheres, including busy, crowded conditions.
- Able to use sound judgment and decision-making skills to adapt quickly to changing conditions.
- Able to listen and communicate with people of diverse backgrounds and age levels.
- Must present a professional appearance.
- Dependable and punctual.
- Patient and flexible
- Self-directed and willing to take initiative.
- Willing to follow OMSI rules and procedures.
- Training and a lifelong learning experience.
- Admission for the volunteer to the museum, theater and planetarium shows, and submarine tours.
- An OMSI Family Membership upon completion of 50 hours of volunteer service
- Discounts in the OMSI Science Store and on-site restaurants.
- The opportunity to meet many new people and learn more about OMSI
- Volunteers must be 18 years of age or older to participate in this opportunity.
- Time commitment: at least two 4-hour shifts per month for at least 9 months.
The Oregon Museum of Science and Industry is one of the nation's top ten science museums and is a world-class tourist attraction and educational resource. OMSI’s mission is to inspire curiosity through engaging science learning experiences, foster experimentation and the exchange of ideas, and stimulate informed action. Volunteers support the operation of five exhibit halls and eight science labs and hundreds of interactive exhibits and hands-on demonstrations.
- Training Provided
How To Apply
To apply and for more information, please visit our website at: http://www.omsi.edu/volunteer