Mission of New Women New Yorkers
New Women New Yorkers (NWNY) is a nonprofit organization empowering immigrant women through workforce development and networking programs, and through community building and storytelling.
Board Fundraising Committee: Purpose & key responsibilities
The purpose of the Fundraising Committee is to oversee the organization's overall fundraising strategy and efforts and, in particular, the fundraising done by the Board.
Key responsibilities include:
- To work closely with CEO to establish and implement NWNY’s annual fundraising plan.
- To take the lead in certain types of fundraising efforts, such as cultivating funding relationships, hosting fundraising gatherings, etc.
- To be responsible for the involvement of all Board Directors in fundraising.
- To monitor fundraising efforts to be sure that ethical practices are in place, that donors are acknowledged appropriately, and that fundraising efforts are cost-effective.
What will be your primary responsibilities as a Board Director and member of the Fundraising Committee?
Responsibilities of Board Directors sitting on NWNY’s Fundraising Committee include, but are not limited to:
· Work actively to secure adequate funding for NWNY to fulfill its general purpose and key goals.
· Seek out and create introductions to foundations, corporations, and individual donors.
· Report regularly to Fundraising Committee and entire Board on generation of introductions and cultivation of partnerships with potential and existing donors.
· Plan, organize, and support fundraising events and other fundraising activities as necessary.
· Ensure 100% participation of Board Directors in “give-or-get” policy.
Oversight, Governance, and Leadership
· Attend Board and committee meetings and organization events.
· Communicate regularly and serve as a trusted advisor to the CEO.
· Ensure effective organizational planning and monitor effectiveness of programs and activities.
· Approve NWNY’s annual budget and business decisions.
· Assist the CEO and Board in identifying and recruiting other Board Directors.
· Approve compensation arrangements of the organization’s employees and independent contractors.
Community support and outreach
· Ensure NWNY has an appropriate outreach and communications strategy, and assist implementation.
· Act as an ambassador for the organization, and forge connections with key stakeholders.
What is New Women New Yorkers’ give-or-get policy for Board Directors?
The financial commitment of Board Directors is necessary to ensure the success of New Women New Yorkers. At a minimum, each Board Director pledges to annually give or get $1,000 with a $250 commitment upon the commencement of her/his position as a Board Director.
How long would I serve on the Board and what time commitment is needed?
Board Directors are appointed for a two-year term, and are eligible for re-appointment.
The Board meets in plenary once every two months, with a two-week advance notice. The Fundraising Committee meets every other month as well. Board Directors and members of the Fundraising Committee are required to attend all meetings, or to send an advance written notification should they be unable to attend.
Board Directors are also expected to attend NWNY’s events and programming on a regular basis, so that they can represent NWNY and gain a better understanding of our work and impact and of the women we serve.
In addition to attendance to meetings, events, and programming, the position of Board Director and member of the Fundraising Committee requires a minimum time commitment of 8 hours per month.
Desired skills and experience
· Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals;
· Experience soliciting donations 1-on-1 and in groups settings, and event planning skills;
· Personal commitment to devote the time necessary to perform the responsibilities of Board Director and member of the Fundraising Committee.
· Integrity and a passion for improving the lives of NWNY’s beneficiaries;
Service on NWNY’s Board of Directors is without remuneration or compensation.
How To Apply
Please send your resume and write a brief cover email describing your background and experience, and explaining why you want to serve on the Fundraising Committee of NWNY's Board of Directors.