Teaching students and developing the education programs of schools in India
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by CADIP
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Kundapur & Bangalore
Education is an important tool for development. Teaching spoken English, basic Math, Health and Hygiene awareness, Environmental education and conducting extra-curricular activities with local school children can be a rewarding experience.
Volunteers will be working in a Kannada/Tamil Medium School, which lacks in resources and/or English teaching staff. One of the important aims of this project is to support the staff in the classroom and to bring an international dimension to the learning process. Your tasks will be to assist with English language learning using creative teaching methods to encourage and to develop learning levels and cognitive skills in the students. You will also assist with extra-curricular activities, inspiring children to learn new languages and learn about new cultures.
Additionally, you may have to assist in the following tasks:
- Develop teaching and learning aids with low cost or no cost locally available materials, and facilitate simulation games for the children and the teaching faculties.
- Undertake capacity development of teaching faculty in classroom management; children’s learning needs assessment.
- Design developmentally appropriate tools and criteria for assessment of children’s learning levels and cognitive skills; Individual goal setting for children with learning disability; lesson planning etc.
- Develop teaching-learning methods and pass this information (through the Final Evaluation/Report) to future volunteers with a view to creating long-term improvements to the educational model.
The volunteers should bring in creative ideas to initiate new activities in the school, for example, environmental, organizational or computer education. If you have ideas for teaching different kinds of activities such as games, songs, arts and crafts or sports and athletics to children, then this type of project is for you! You will be teaching a variety of subjects depending on your personal interests and skills.
Duration of the project: Minimum duration is 1 month.
Arrival and orientation: Volunteers arrive in Kundapur or Bangalore by the first Monday of each month. The program will start with a week-long orientation including introduction in Indian culture, customs and history; language training in Kannada or Tamil; meeting current volunteers who will share their experiences; sessions on yoga, cooking and Hindu philosophy; sightseeing; tips for successful integration in the community, etc.
► More information and other long-term positions in India: http://cadip.org/volunteering-in-india
► CADIP International Volunteer Program: http://cadip.org
Language/Cultural Support Available
How To Apply
Submit your application and motivation letter at: www.cadip.org
USA: 646-657-2900; 617-841-0400; 310-882-7400
Canada: 416-943-4900; 514-316-8500; 604-628-7400