Board Treasurer, Chooda - an organization that hosts cycling events for Global Social Change in Africa
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Chooda
A few hours per month
77 Bluxome St,
Chooda is a registered 501c3, headquartered out of San Francisco, California. We are committed to promoting the health and well-being, economic stability, and sustainable development of countries abroad by partnering with local organizations working in HIV/AIDS, global health, women’s empowerment, and economic development. Chooda's funding provides resources to small and large organizations, some of which would not otherwise have access to international funding. Our flagship program, Bike Zambia, is an event where riders build community with other globally-minded cyclists, participate in Zambian culture through immersive experiences, and see first hand the impact that our partners have. It is the aim of Chooda for program participants to become lifelong ambassadors and benefactors of the organizations they meet. Bike Zambia is in it’s seventh successful year, with participants raising $800,000 towards a 325 mile ride that benefits organizations on the ground in Zambia.
Chooda is in need of a Board Treasurer, in addition to the regular board responsibilities that advise, govern, oversee policy and direction, and assist with the leadership and general promotion of Chooda so as to support the organization’s mission and needs. This is an extraordinary opportunity to utilize your financial skill set while supporting great partners doing important work that makes a difference.
- Gain understanding of non-profit governance.
- Expand, strengthen, and diversify your skill set.
- Develop, own and implement new strategies.
- Meet new people and be part of a community.
Our ideal candidate will:
- Develop and enforce strong internal controls and financial management policies.
- Collaborate with our accounting company and Director to ensure accurate and complete financial reporting and proper maintenance of financial records and information/tax returns.
- Regularly assess financial risks and whether and how such risks should be mitigated.
- Assist in the approval the annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; be informed of and meet all legal and fiduciary responsibilities.
- Review monthly financial statements.
- Oversee State and Federal account information to ensure Chooda remains current and in compliance.
General Board Member duties include:
- Serve as an ambassador and advocate for the organization: inform others about the organization, represent Chooda to stakeholders, and work to enhance Chooda’s public image.
- Assist in identifying and recruiting other Board Members.
- Be informed about Chooda’s policies and programs and actively promote Chooda’s mission.
- Serve as an advisor in developing, implementing, and evaluating Chooda’s strategic plan.
- Assist in planning for the future, monitoring operations, and evaluating the organization’s performance.
- Attend a monthly board meeting (via phone) and an annual Board Retreat in San Francisco.
- Review agenda and supporting materials prior to board meetings.
Three years, which may be renewed up to a maximum of three consecutive terms, pending approval of the board.
Meetings and time commitment:
- Monthly meetings conducted via phone. Meetings last approximately 60-90 minutes.
- Annual Board Retreat. A one day commitment on a Saturday in San Francisco.
- Board Members are required to give 7-10 hours of their time per month.
How To Apply
Please visit our website to fill out an application.