Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
594 Grand Concourse
South Bronx United (SBU) is seeking enthusiastic and caring individuals with a passion for youth and community development to serve as NYC Service Civic Corps members. Civic Corps members will serve as one of two South Bronx United Volunteer Coordinators, supporting the recruitment and management of SBU’s volunteers, a community of over 200 individuals passionate about youth development and community enrichment through sports. The Volunteer Coordinator will specifically work to recruit and manage tutors, mentors, volunteer teachers, and soccer coaches. The member will collaborate with staff and volunteer leaders to strengthen volunteer processes and training materials with the goal of recruiting more volunteers, improving the volunteer experience, improving program quality through volunteer training and preparation, and retaining more volunteers for longer periods of service.
Each Volunteer Coordinator helps with recruitment and management of volunteers in SBU's core program areas: academics, soccer, and immigrant services. After ten months, the member will have helped recruit more volunteers, encouraged volunteers to stay for the next semester or year, improved our volunteer management process, and have had a direct impact on the lives of over 1000 students by improving their experience in South Bronx United and providing a mentors that they can count on.
• Recruit, interview, and place volunteer candidates
• Track and interpret statistics on recruitment and retention
• Develop consistent practices and communications around targeted recruitment, retention, recognition and volunteer leadership development.
• Research effective volunteer training methods, working with staff to strengthen volunteer training, including trainings manuals
• Collaborate with staff to implement effective volunteer orientation and training sessions
• Maintain a database of volunteers, which includes volunteer attendance
• Provide ongoing professional support, encouragement, and recognition for volunteers through their term of service.
• Build the SBU Volunteer Ambassador program on local college campuses
• Manage and support volunteers at their sites of service
• Maintain strong relationships with supervisors, staff, volunteers, youth, and other organization members
• Attend monthly professional development workshops hosted by NYC Service as well as the Americorps National Day of Service.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Has served as a volunteer in some prior capacity
• Ability to work collaboratively with diverse individuals.
• Effective in multi-cultural and cross-cultural settings and understanding of individuals of all backgrounds.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work in a fast paced environment and with a developing nonprofit organization.
• Flexible and adaptable to work in a variety of settings
• Strong administrative, computer, and writing skills.
• Proficiency with email, Google documents, and Microsoft Office
• Punctual and team-oriented
• (Preferred) Spanish and/or French fluency
• (Preferred) Experience in youth development
• (Preferred) Experience working with low-income, at-risk, or immigrant communities
The term of service runs early September – mid July. The following hours are approximate:
• Monday – Thursday, 11am-8pm
• Saturdays, 8am-4:30pm
• South Bronx United, 594 Grand Concourse, Suite 2, Bronx, NY 10451
• A living stipend of $14,300 is provided (pre tax)
• An educational award of $5,775 that can be used on student loans or future educational expenses is provided upon successful completion of the 10 month service term
• Health coverage
• Unlimited monthly metro card
All HR related matters are handled by NYC Service. Learn more about the Civic Corps program at http://www.nycservice.org/initiatives/3
HOW TO APPLY
To apply email firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter and resume. Please be aware all applications will also require a formal application through the NYC Service Civic Corps program.
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided
- Language/Cultural Support Available
How To Apply
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com