Sacred Art at Buddhist Center in CA, Bronze Foundry work
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Odiyan Retreat Center
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
100 miles north of San Francsico.
Do you enjoy hands-on work fabricating large-scale projects in metal, clay, and wood? Are you interested in wax sculpture, metal craft, and casting and welding? Volunteer in our sacred art Foundry!
Our team is seeking hardy, strong resident volunteers to be involved with our extensive Sacred Art project fabricating life-size Buddhist statues to be given to Buddhist centers in Asia in 2019.
Working in our Foundry is a challenging, exciting learning experience. You can participate in all stages of the lost wax bronze casting method from wax molding to bronze pour, breakout, welding and polishing. You need to be physically fit, able to stand for long periods, bend, lift and work with hand tools.
- Free housing in large room with balcony
- Free home-cooked vegetarian meals and beverages
- Free WI-FI and domestic phone calls
- Living allowance, $100 per month after the first month, $150 per month after six months.
- Free skill training in a wide range of trades and traditional arts
- Access to healthy setting of nature, hiking trails, wide-open spaces, sacred beauty, fresh air, clean water, and nutritious food.
- Free Classes on Development of Mind & Spirit, Tibetan yoga, Skillful Means, meditation and more
- Opportunity to engage in a wholesome lifestyle of self-sufficiency, meaningful work, inner development, and taking responsibility.
- Healthy and without significant mental or physical health issues
- Comfortable with heavy lifting, good manual dexterity and multi-limb coordination while using hand tools such as grinders, polishers, and sand blasters
- Experience not required
- Eager for a hard-working wholesome lifestyle of service
- Minimum age of 23 years old
- Minimum commitment is 6 months
- Couples are welcome
- We cannot accept children or animal companions
- We are a smoke and drug free community.
Odiyan Retreat Center is an all-volunteer non-profit Buddhist center located on a 1000-acre spiritual and ecological preserve in rural Sonoma County, Northern California. We are perched on top of a ridge overlooking rolling mountains and the Pacific Ocean. Odiyan is modeled after Tibet's first monastery—a three-dimensional mandala.
Odiyan offers a challenging and rewarding live-work retreat program where work is the vehicle for your inner development.
Outside of the Foundry, part of your working hours will also include cooking, kitchen clean-up, harvesting in vegetable gardens, maintaining the Temples, landscaping, and tending to our wildlife (exotic birds, horses, dogs etc).
Although Odiyan has its foundations in Tibetan Buddhism, no religious affiliation is required to join the team. The ideal volunteer is open-minded, self-reflective and ready to engage deeply on both internally and with the work.
Join our team now!
Learn more about us:
Or follow us on Facebook: OdiyanBuddhistRetreatCenter.
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
How To Apply
To get started on the application process, email us your resume, a short statement about why this opportunity interests you and clear photo of yourself. If you have any questions or just want to chat about living and working at Odiyan, don't hesitate to call us!