Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
181B Namuwongo Road, Kampala
P.O Box 11319
Volunteer as an English Teacher in Uganda!
We have opportunities for both non-experienced and experienced English teachers, qualified or unqualified to help with a variety of different teaching tasks. The most important is the will to teach English!
Uganda Hands for Hope is a Ugandan registered community based organisation in Namuwongo, Kampala which was founded 2008 by an Englishman named Joseph Cummiskey.
Uganda Hands for Hope works directly in the community, targeting the most vulnerable children and families of Namuwongo. Each year we identify 25-30 of the most vulnerable children (aged 3-5) and place them in our nursery school. Our programme is funded by individual sponsors who pay a monthly donation of £20 per child that covers a child’s education, two meals per day and health care. We also run livelihood programmes for children’s families and CWD (Children with disabilities) programme.
- Conducting English lessons to nursery school students (up to Primary 2)
- Providing catch-up lessons for 'small group of children' in English
- Conducting English lessons to children’s mothers/families
- Other tasks (for example conducting Saturday reading club for children/conducting sports lessons for children in English)
- English teaching experience preferred but not essential
- Working with children/women/communities preferred but not essential
- The desire to 'make a difference' in extremely poor communities
- Ability to get on well with a variety of people, treating them with respect
- Ability to write reports/ updates in MS Word/Excel
- To be able to live and work in Uganda, with a flexible approach to new cultures
- Must be 18 years old or over
- Must commit at least for 2 weeks, preference is given to those who can volunteer for 3 months or more
As a grass root organisation volunteers are expected to cover their costs associated with the program placements whilst working with us (but there is no program fees).
Volunteers stay in a nearby guesthouses/ hotels
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
Please send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org explaining your experience for this role and your preferred dates to travel, and attach a copy of your latest CV. We will then send you an information pack, and an application form. Once we receive a completed application you will be informed within 7 days of receipt as to whether you have been accepted. We look forward to hearing from you soon!
For more information: Join our facebook group 'Uganda Hands for Hope' or visit our website at http:www.ugandahandsforhope.org/ or www.onlinehope.org