Short-Term (few weeks/months)
The Small Things
You are interested in making a real difference at an organization by building the abilities of local staff. You want the impact of your work to be visible long after you leave. You love working in learning environments with young children and have experience with English language learners. You love creating activity-based, interactive lesson plans for students. You are interested in other cultures and getting out of your comfort zone.
The Small Things believes that poverty should never limit a child’s opportunities in life. We are located in the village of Nkoaranga, Tanzania, about 30 minutes from Arusha, the third largest city in Tanzania. We provide comprehensive assistance for orphaned and vulnerable children, including a children’s village for children who cannot live with their families, entrepreneurship training to help families lift themselves out of poverty and a high quality early childhood education center for children in the community and our residential children too young to start primary school.
Our residential center employs an education director to assist children with after school learning activities. All our residential children attend an English medium primary school. The early childhood education center is a daycare that provides pre-primary education to teach life skills, English and basic school readiness.
The goal of the EFL volunteer is to build the capacity of our Tanzanian preschool teachers and education coordinator to teach English and bring about greater learning outcomes for our students. The Tanzanian education system is heavily reliant on rote memorization and although we have qualified teachers, they have little training with student centered activity based lessons. This position would work collaboratively with the current teachers to provide professional development and feedback to provide student-centered lessons for children up to age 14.
Sample of Responsibilities:
- Teach 2-3 English classes per week to preschool aged students. These will serve as model lessons to help train our teachers, so having the ability to explain your demonstrated teaching methods and educational strategies is essential
- 1 formal professional development seminar per week for preschool teachers
- Assist teachers with lesson planning.
- Observe lessons of preschool teachers and provide detailed and constructive feedback to teachers
- Work with education coordinator to develop strategies for residential children (up to age 14) with after school assistance.
- Develop intervention strategies for students who need extra support.
- Depending on candidate, help to design preschool curriculum and produce new EFL materials and learning resources
- Anything else you are interested in or diagnose as needing improvement
Who we are looking for:
- One year experience teaching English to EFL children
- Self-starter that is capable of working independently,
- TESOL/TEFL certificate (preferred)
- Experience creating needs-based curricula and syllabi (preferred)
- Ability to design student-centered lessons with limited resources
Availability: Flexible start and end dates. Ideally a minimum of 1 month.
Volunteers must cover their own airfare and visa to Arusha, Tanzania. We will provide airport pick up service. For a fee ($300/month), we provide Western style accommodation with a private furnished room and an en-suite bathroom for our volunteers. In addition, we provide breakfast and lunch Monday through Friday. Volunteers will be expected to provide their own meals on weekends and dinners on weekdays. You will have access to a kitchen with an oven and a gas stove as part of your housing.
We will provide cultural support, intercultural competency training and you will have access to a full time volunteer coordinator who lives steps from the volunteer accommodations. The volunteer coordinator is there to support you with any problems and can help you arrange safaris and make the most of your time.
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
If you love the idea of coming to Tanzania and using your skills to help children living in poverty, please submit a CV and cover letter including your dates of availability to firstname.lastname@example.org
Don’t have specialized English teaching experience but still want to volunteer in our early childhood education center? Check out our other opportunities!