Children & Family Programming Instruction for Refugees
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Lutheran Social Services of the Southwest
Times of day
A few hours per week
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Lutheran Social Services of the Southwest
3443 North Central Avenue
Volunteer Purpose and Impact
Lutheran Social Services of the Southwest resettles refugees in Arizona, and provides services for up to five years after arrival to guide new arrivals to self-sufficiency. This volunteer would be working in partnership with Refugee & Immigration Services’ Children’s Services Specialist to provide quality programming to refugee children.
Responsibilities and Key Deliverables
· Lead discussions and activities designed to promote school preparedness, literacy, and/or community integration.
· Supervise and assist children and caregivers with activities including games, songs, crafts, etc.
· Understand, interpret, and execute the designed curriculum for the program.
Volunteer should have prior experience working with young children and/or families. Volunteer should be comfortable providing instruction and leading activities, as well as working in partnership with others.
Program activities take place at LSS-SW Refugee & Immigration Services office. Volunteer should be comfortable sitting, standing, and working with children.
Clearances Required & Training
Level One Fingerprint Clearance Card is required. Volunteer will attend a volunteer orientation and receive specific training as needed.
Location & Timeframe
Volunteer should commit to role for 6 weeks. Classes take place on Fridays from 10am-12pm at the LSS-SW Refugee & Immigration Services office, 3443 N. Central Ave, North Rotunda, Phoenix, AZ 85012.
- Training Provided
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers