Childcare - Medically Fragile Children
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Family Services Division - Catholic Charities of Baltimore
A few hours per month
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
2600 Pot Spring Road
2600 Pot Spring Road
We are looking for people who would:
- help provide childcare to medically fragile children so that their foster parents can attend specialized training sessions, usually monthly, Wednesday evenings.
- (optional) join our "Call List" for volunteers who are willing to accompany a child when they are hospitalized at a time convenient to the volunteer, freeing up our social workers to help other people or foster parents to go to work, run errands, etc.
See below for a description of the application and background screening process. Medical background preferred but not necessary - we offer basic training.
Our mission Our Treatment Foster Care (TFC) HOPE Program works with infants and children in the foster care system that have medical needs requiring intensive attention from specially-trained treatment foster parents and social workers. The HOPE program is a subset of our larger TFC program, which also provides community-based therapeutic care in specially trained foster families for children who have been traumatized by severe neglect and/or abuse, and who are experiencing emotional, behavioral and/or psychiatric problems.
Meeting a real need Throughout the year, we offer training sessions for our TFC parents. However, it is usually not possible for our HOPE parents to attend if we cannot ensure that someone comfortable monitoring a medically fragile child can be present. Our staff are either directly involved in the training or providing the childcare for the children with emotional, behavioral, or psychiatric challenges. Your help enhances the capacity of our parents to care for our children by ensuring that our specialized training is accessible to all.
Sessions are held at 5:30pm - 8:30pm on the Second Wednesday of each month, alternating between our Baltimore and Timonium locations. Other training for foster parents may also be offered occasionally, usually on a Wednesday or Thursday evening or Saturday morning. Should you become a childcare volunteer, you would sign up to help on the dates and times that suit you.
Hospital Companions Each person that joins our "Call List" for Hospital Companions expand our capacity to do our work well, as well as foster families' wellness. When a child is hospitalized, a social worker or foster parent stays by their side to provide companionship and interaction. Of course, life and work do not stop, so any relief - for an hour or a few hours - is a huge, huge help.
Hospitalizations vary from hours to weeks, from unexpected to planned. Most are in the Greater Baltimore area, and many are at JH Children's Center. When a need arises, a TFC social worker can contact Hospital Companions to see if they have any time available to help out.
Getting involved Because of the nature of our programs and the well-being of the people we serve, volunteers are required to undergo background screening and complete an application process, including training and orientation. For these specific roles, additional steps are also involved.
- Submit an application and three references
- Background check (online)
- Child Protective Services clearance
- Photo ID
- Health questionnaire to assess for tuberculosis exposure (or results of recent TB test)
- Pre-Service Training & Orientation, held quarterly. Next sessions are Thursday, Aug. 25th, 5:30-8:30pm, and early November.
TFC HOPE volunteers
- Must be 18+ years of age
- Fingerprinted and checked against federal and state databases
- HOPE volunteer training on childcare for medically fragile children (1.5hrs)
- First Aid and CPR certification preferred but not required (we cannot provide these)
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions! Our volunteer coordinator will gladly guide you through the process.
- Training Provided
How To Apply
Apply using our online application. Please contact Maria Busko, Volunteer Coordinator for further info: firstname.lastname@example.org, 667-600-3006