Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
1109 Fifth Avenue
The Jewish Museum:
Founded in 1904 and located on New York City’s Museum Mile, the Jewish Museum is dedicated to the enjoyment, understanding, and preservation of the artistic and cultural heritage of the Jewish people. The Museum maintains a unique collection of nearly 30,000 works of art, ceremonial objects, and media reflecting the global Jewish experience over more than 4,000 years. The Museum applies a contemporary lens to its exhibitions, which range from ancient to contemporary art.
The Docent Training Program is a year-long experience in which participants learn how to conduct 45-minute gallery tours of the Jewish Museum's exhibitions. Those who pass the course by developing a successful gallery tour may become Jewish Museum docents.
The application process for the Docent Training Program is as follows:
- Complete the Volunteer Application and email it to the museum specifying your interest in the Docent Training Program.
- Select applicants will be invited to come to the museum for an interview. For the interview, prepare to speak about an object or work of art for 5 to 10 minutes. (You may bring in an original work or a reproduction.)
- Those accepted into the Docent Training Program will be notified over the summer and will begin training in October, participating in weekly training sessions to help them prepare tours of the museum's exhibition Scenes from the Collection.
- Participants will then present their respective tours to members of the museum's staff in the spring of 2019.
- Those who pass their audition by conducting a successful tour will be offered the opportunity to become museum docents.
Please note: Not everyone who participates in the Docent Training Program will be accepted as a docent.
Applicants should have a strong background in art history, museum education, and/or Jewish culture; be comfortable with public speaking; and have a passion for teaching in museums.
- Training Provided
How To Apply
Send Volunteer Application to:
The Jewish Museum
1109 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10128
The Jewish Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to building a culturally diverse staff and encourages applications from diverse candidates.