A few hours per month
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Trail Conference Headquarters
New York - New Jersey Trail Conference
600 Ramapo Valley Road (Rte 202)
Help protect the historic Darlington Schoolhouse. We are seeking a volunteer with an interest in historic preservation. The Trail Conference wants help developing a long-term post-construction maintenance plan for the Darlington Schoolhouse buildings and grounds.
Review existing maintenance plan and develop an updated, comprehensive plan that would ensure a stable future for the historic buildings and grounds that the Trail Conference is headquartered in. The plan would include details such as:
- Schedules and checklists for inspections;
- Forms for recording work, blank base plans and elevations to be filled in during inspections and upon completion of work;
- A set of base-line photographs to be augmented over time;
- Current lists of contractors for help with complex issues or in case of emergencies;
- Written procedures for the appropriate care of specific materials, including housekeeping, routine care, and preventive measures;
- Record-keeping sections for work completed, costs, warranty cards, sample paint colors, and other pertinent material.
- Familiarity with historic preservation
- Understanding of building systems
- Experience with maintenance programs
- Ability to work independently
Provided Training: An introduction to the goals of the project and the buildings and grounds will be provided. Training will be largely on-the-job, with staff available to answer any questions as they arise.
Location: Some of the work requires being on-site at the Trail Conference headquarters in Mahwah, NJ. Additional hours may be done in the office or remotely.
Time Commitment: 2-5 hours per month
Location: Trail Conference Headquarters