School Farm Manager & Researcher for Maasai School in rural Tanzania
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Red Sweater Project
Mto wa Mbu
Mto wa Mbu
Red Sweater Project collaborates with developing communities in the creation of affordable, accessible and innovative educational opportunities for children in rural Tanzania. The organization operates the Mungere School near the town of Mto wa Mbu in the northern Arusha Region.
School Farm Manager
As a rural educational institution, the Mungere School manages its own on-campus farm to provide a sustainable and nutritious meal program for students. The program currently serves over 240 meals daily and will grow to serve of 650 meals each school day at full capacity.
The School Farm Manager will oversee staff assistants, coordinate farm work, research local practices while exploring both modern and proven farming techniques managing and expanding the 21,000 square foot farm.
February 1 - June 30, 2019
- Supervise, direct and coordinate worker activities, such as planting, irrigation, fertilizer application, harvesting and record-keeping
- Analyze program need and conditions to determine crop and acreage allocation and coordinate activity
- Conduct research and liaise with local agricultural institutions to determine best sustainable practices
- Maintain records information, such as production, farm management practices, oversee stock and prepare financial and operational reports
- Determine procedural changes in allocation, product use and storage for greater efficiency and accuracy
- Purchase, inspect and maintain equipment
- Enforce safety regulations and oversee proper farm to table food handling
- Minimum 2 years work experience in farm management with demonstrated passion for agricultural development
- Agricultural research experience; apiary skills a plus
- Strong data analysis skills and record-keeping
- Experience traveling, working/living abroad
- Organization and attention to detail
- Flexibility to work individually and as part of a diverse team
- Professionalism and excellent communication skills
- Interest in East Africa’s indigenous cultures and traditions
- Ability to live in a developing community
- Humility. We require individuals joining our growing organization combine leadership skills with humor, patience and a humble approach to service
- Minimum 5-month commitment
- Shared housing available
- Stipends available; DOE
- Professional and cultural orientation program (language training available)
- We do not charge Program Fees; Volunteers are responsible for their own travel and living costs
Email current resumé/CV and cover letter detailing relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Work, with a side of ADVENTURE
As you experience life in a remote tribal community and explore Tanzania’s scenery and wildlife, it is difficult not to fall in love with the country and its people.
Mungere Village is nestled in Africa’s Great Rift Valley, a short distance from Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro Crater, the Serengeti plains and other unique destinations.
Travel further from the village to summit Mt. Kilimanjaro or relax on the beaches of Zanzibar Island.
To learn more, visit www.redsweaterproject.org/volunteer.
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers