Times of day
A few hours per month
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
PO Box 25749
Become part of an amazing group of dedicated people who love helping kids and horses. BRHC volunteers assist in educational programs and learn to evaluate, retrain and rehabilitate rescued horses so they may find forever homes. We offer free training for our volunteers who come to us from ll levels of experience.
There are three ways to volunteer and support Blue River Horse Center:
Get started with just 2 steps!
Step 1) Fill out a New Volunteer Application
You will receive a Welcome note, with a link to enroll in a half day orientation at Blue River Horse Center. Pick the best date for you from a list of class dates (Saturdays from 10am-2pm) and tell us the types of volunteering that interest you (ranch, store, and/or operations.). Please refer to our Child Volunteer Policy for ages 5-17.
Attend New Volunteer Orientation
Learn horse psychology and valuable leadership skills, tour our historic ranch, watch a demonstration of using positive energy working with horses, and start interacting with our beautiful horses and mini-horses. We do not ride during Orientation, there are no prerequisites. We welcome people with all experience levels. Whether you are unfamiliar with horses or an experienced horse handler, and whatever your age, from 5 to 95+, you will enjoy this class.
Once you are trained, you can...
- Participate in Advanced Volunteer Training
- Improve your horse handling skills
- Assist with horse rehabilitation
- Assist participants in our educational programs for children and adults
- Learn groundwork, de-sensitization, communication cues
- Round pen work, bodywork and riding.
- Assist with educational programs attended by local non-profit organizations who partner with us to teach animal communication and leadership with horses to the children in their programs.
There are Opportunities galore...
At The Ranch
From May through October help with rehabilitating rescued horses and assisting participants in our educational programs. Develop relationships with other like-minded volunteers. Find your happy place:
- Assist our educational program participants (often children having their first experience with horses).
- Assist with training rescued and visiting horses, ponies, mini-horses and increase our foster care horses’ chances of being adopted.
- Learn about sustainability and assist with ranch work such as haying, flood irrigation, carpentry, animal care, or vehicle maintenance.
At The Thrift Store
BRHC’s primary source of funding is our ReSaddled Thrift Store -- it’s a fun place to volunteer year round.
- Of course we need customer-satisfaction-focused retail salespeople, but we would welcome volunteers with retail merchandising and/or marketing skills, too.
In Our Operations
Bring your skills and gain experience to add to your resume by taking volunteer positions such as:
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Community Ambassador
- Event Manager
- Marketing/Websites/Social Media
- Grant Writing
Our team is always looking for talented people to help run our non-profit
- International Volunteers