Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Founded in 2011, Project Istwa is a volunteer-run nonprofit organization that conducts a series of seven-day photography workshops and youth development programs for youth throughout Haiti. While the global media coverage of Haiti is significant, particularly after the January 2010 earthquake, opportunities for Haitians to portray their views and direct perspectives of their country are limited. The purpose of Project Istwa is to allow participants to use photography to communicate what is important to them and how they see their world. The roots of Project Istwa lie in the original photovoice approach that uses photography and narrative as both a tool of self-expression and advocacy within marginalized communities. Through the world of photography they have the opportunity to tell their story, their way, through their own eyes. Project Istwa also incorporates youth and community development components.
The documentary filmmaker volunteer will accompany the January 2018 Istwa team to the town of Jacmel and work closely with our workshop Director and facilitators to create a promotional video for Project Istwa. The team will also spend time at Project Istwa’s base in Port-au-Prince.
· Work with Project Istwa staff to come up with a concept for a promotional video (length TBD)
· Film all activities during the workshop
· Edit footage and obtain additional interviews and B-roll as necessary
· Submit a final draft of the film by March 15, 2018
*Responsibilities may not be limited to the above tasks.
The ideal candidate will:
· Have experience with film production and editing
· Have experience with educational or promotional video production
· Have experience working in an intercultural environment
· Have strong communication skills
· Provide necessary video equipment and editing software
· Be interested in a unique learning experience at a small, rapidly growing international non-profit
· Be creative!
· Housing and ground transportation will be provided for your whole duration in Haiti
· Lunch will be provided on workshop days
· An opportunity to work in a fast growing, diverse, grassroots organization
· A good learning environment for those interested in international development and youth programming
Workshop Dates: January 3 – 15, 2018
Salary: This is an unpaid volunteer opportunity; however, you may receive course credit.
Language/Cultural Support Available
How To Apply
To apply: Interested individuals should complete the online application at http://bit.ly/1227rut. You will be required to submit a resume/CV, 3 references and examples of work links on the form.
Deadline: The deadline for applications for the winter 2018 workshops is Wednesday, November 1, 2017 at 11:59pm.
Questions? Email us at inquiries (at) projectistwa.org