International Volunteer - Child Rights, Education & Protection - Mae Sai, Northern Thailand
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Development and Education Programme for Daughters and Communities Centre
Times of day
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
The Development and Education Program for Daughters and Communities in the Greater Mekong Sub-region is a non-profit, community-based Non-Governmental Organization located in northern Thailand. DEPDC/GMS works to prevent and protect vulnerable ethnic minority youth from labor exploitation, particularly trafficking into the commercial sex industry. (Click here to learn about the current projects of DEPDC)
The volunteer position has a minimum duration of 6 months, plus 30-40 hours (3-4 weeks) of Thai language courses in country or online beforehand. We prefer a commitment of 6 months or more, although we occasionally accept short-term volunteers with an exceptional and specific skill sets. We also accept students looking to do internship as a part of their University/College requirements (please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information).
Volunteers can have a flexible schedule and can take on a variety of roles and responsibilities, including:
- Teach English at Half Day School and to DEPDC staff
- Facilitate extracurricular activities with Half Day School children
- Write for the DEPDC blog and newsletter
- Produce and coordinating social media and communication
- Write grant proposals and reports
- Online fundraising and marketing
- Receive visitors and give tours on DEPDC's work
- Assist the International Volunteer Coordinator
- Photography and videography
- Help in other areas based on skill set (construction, information technology, web consulting, agriculture, animal husbandry, fitness and physical wellness, graphic design,translation)
We are always open to new ideas and projects that utilize volunteers’ unique strengths and creativity!
- Command of English language
- Beginner level Thai-advanced speaker desired (or willingness to acquire during volunteer stay)
- Excellent communication skills with staff and other volunteers
- Happy, positive attitude, compassion and patience is necessary as one will be working with or around children
- Hardworking, flexible and organised
- Education or experience involving international relations/development, women's rights, community studies, social justice activism, public policy, human rights, human trafficking, migration and ethnic minority groups is preferred.
Ideal position for:
- Research Students
- Students on gap year
- Individuals wishing to learn to work independently
- Individuals looking to work with grassroots projects
- Individuals looking to implement research methods of prevention education
- Training Provided
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
Complete our International Volunteer Application Form and email it, along with a current CV and a recent passport photo scan, to the International Department at email@example.com. The International Volunteer in charge of recruitment will contact the applicant by email with further information once all required documents have been received.
We accept only individual applications for long-term volunteer positions. Groups and couples are welcome to volunteer during the same period of time, but all applications must be submitted individually.
Read what other volunteers have said about their experience volunteering with DEPDC/GMS!
Location: DEPDC/GMS Coordination Center