Interested in helping today’s youth develop through health education? Mentor with MIKE!
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by MIKE Program
Times of day
A few hours per week
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Providence St. Vincent Hospital and Medical Center
9155 SW Barnes Road
Apply now to launch with youth in North Portland beginning next fall August 30, 2018 or in Hillsboro September 5, 2018!
Support local youth while gaining experience and honing skills in health education and youth development by mentoring with MIKE Program! MIKE is accepting applications for health mentors now for Fall Semester 2018.
MIKE empowers youth to be health leaders through education, mentorship, and community outreach.
Health and education are linked. The level of education is the best predictor of health outcomes. The healthier you are the more likely you are to attain an education. The more education you have, the more likely you are to be healthy. Therefore, MIKE works toward health equity and educational parity. MIKE’s vision is all people meeting their potential of vibrant good health, contributing as citizens of a vibrant, strong society.
As a mentor, you will act as a guide and positive role model for a group of 3-5 youth. You will join a teacher and MIKE staff to work with your youth in a health classroom along with a team of other mentors and their assigned youth. Mentors facilitate small group discussions, assist with hands-on activities, participate in a field trip, and facilitate a final Health Leadership Project as each youth team creates a project to promote health within their own community. Mentors will take turns providing healthy snacks to the class (paid for by MIKE Program).
When and how often: Mentors meet once per week, only during weeks when school is in session, in a high school classroom for from August 30-December 20, 2018 in North Portland or September 5, 2018-January 30, 2019 in Hillsboro.
Where: In a high school health classroom at De La Salle North Catholic High School in North Portland just off the Yellow Max Line or at Miller Education Center, just off the Blue Max Line in Hillsboro.
Meeting time (you may apply for one or both sessions) in north Portland is Thursday:
o 10:45 AM-12:10 PM (with youth 11:00-11:55 AM)
o 12:20-1:30 PM (with youth 12:35-1:30 PM)
Meeting time in Hillsboro is Wednesday 1:15-3:10 PM
· Complete on-line mentor application, which includes your resume, and provide at least 3 references
· Orientation and Interview with MIKE Program staff
· Fingerprint background check and reference check
· On-line and in-person on-boarding and training—arranged at time of interview
· Commitment throughout entire project time every time/every week school is in session. It is imperative that once placed as a MIKE Program mentor, you attend all mentoring sessions and complete your term of service so that as a MIKE mentor you do not join the ranks of adults who have disappointed a vulnerable teen. Any absences should be planned with MIKE staff prior to undertaking this volunteer opportunity
· Attend a free full day MIKE Program Mentor Training at Providence St. Vincent Hospital (9155 SW Barnes Rd., Portland, Oregon 97225).
- Training Provided
How To Apply
Times are inclusive of both opportunities and not specific to either. We are accepting applications year-round and will have a new cohort for our youth projects in the same time-frames starting for spring semester. Successful mentors in the fall cohorts will be invited to engage in the spring opportunity.
To learn more and apply online, please visit http://mikeprogram.org/get-involved/become-a-mentor/.
9155 SW Barnes Rd., Ste. 219
Portland, OR 97225