Times of day
Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Sustainable Bolivia is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization in the Bolivian Amazon that partners with local initiatives to provides resources that support ecotourism, regenerative agriculture, health and education. Volunteers and interns are placed with partner NGOs throughout the country, namely in and around Riberalta, Bolivia.
Hogar Cristo te Salva, one of Bolivia´s partner organizations is an orphanage is seeking volunteers to work alongside in caring for its 21 children ages ranging from 2-17, providing emotional support and implementing activities such as to music, physical education, arts, dance, gardening or mindfulness activities.
ABOUT HOGAR CRISTO TE SALVA:
Founded in 2009, Hogar Cristo te Salva aims to support marginalized and vulnerable children of all ages through both physical and emotional provisions. In addition to a permanent shelter and basic necessities Hogar Cristo te Salva provides emotional care, training in self-reliance, educational support and daily activities. Beyond their educational and personal pursuits, children help keep chickens, bake their own bread, manage a community garden and sell baked goods and desserts in their local neighborhood.
The campus is equipped with two houses, residential quarters for the children, a fully functional kitchen and communal eating area, study hall, soccer field, playground, community garden and small fruit orchard. The orphanage has hosted its own soccer league and English classes open to the other children in the community.
Located in Riberalta, the group home is operated by two families who act as the full-time caretakers for the children. To infuse each child with a sense of family, most daily activities are done as a group including communal meals, sports practice, daily homework help, and bible study. Weekends include occasional outings, service projects and community celebrations.
RESPONSIBILITES MAY INCLUDE:
- Manage the football school (3 times per week, other sports than football welcome)
- Preparing all the sessions and implementing them
- Providing direct care to infants and toddlers
- Providing one-on-one support to special needs students and adapted sports activities
- This position can be combined with another one in the same orphanage (eg. Teaching English, helping with the community garden) or teaching sports in another orphanage
- Minimum commitment of 1 month
- Basic Spanish
- Experience working with youth preferred
- Patience and flexibility, ablity to work with little supervision
- Due to the large proportion of boys males are especially encouraged to apply
Volunteers are expected to work on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 9 to a 12 and from 3pm to 5.30pm. They will give classes to different age groups. They can have lunch at the orphanage. On Fridays, the children are doing games or day outs and the volunteer is more than welcome to join.
This position can be combined with coaching in another orphanage.
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers