A few hours per month
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
461 Quaker Bottom Road
Havre de Grace
Are you most at home with your hands in the dirt? Do you love working outdoors and keeping places beautiful through the strategic use of landscaping or just some good old-fashioned elbow grease? We could use your help to keep Steppingstone a lovely setting for visitors and renters alike. Many people visit the museum not only to go to our exhibits, but simply to enjoy the beauty of the place itself.
Steppingstone Farm Museum preserves and interprets the rural heritage of Harford County, MD. We are a private not-for-profit museum located within Susquehanna State Park, and rely heavily on the help of volunteers from the community. We are open to the public on weekends between April and October, from 1-5pm, but gardening volunteers are welcome to come in at any time during the week when staff are available.
Gardening volunteers help create a sense of harmony and natural beauty for our rural site by keeping plantings free of weeds, trimming or deadheading where needed, and doing basic bed maintenance such as watering or mulching. We have 23 acres to care for, with numerous beds and plantings across the property, so we are in need of dedicated gardeners!
- Free “Family & Friends” museum membership in your first year, including passes to museum events and participation in members-only programs.
- Volunteer Appreciation Events throughout the year.
- Taking pride in your own little corner of nature and improving the experience of all who come through the site.
- Building relationships and new skills that will last a lifetime!
- No minimum age, children accepted with adequate adult supervision.
- Enjoy working with plants and being outdoors.
- Able to kneel, bend, and sit comfortably while working in the gardens.
- Must be able to commit to a shift of 2-4 hours every month, depending on weather and the needs of the plants.
How To Apply
or stop by our Main Office on Tuesdays-Fridays from 9am-2pm for a paper application!