Times of day
A few hours per week
12 Bennington Street
Do you identify as an advocate for social justice?
Join our dynamic team of volunteer English and Citizenship teachers and make a lasting impact in the lives of immigrants and their families in Boston!
Centro Presente's Education for Empowerment Program (EFE) provides Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced English; Citizenship; and Spanish Literacy classes to the Latino community of East Boston. Our curriculum has a unique dual focus-- we provide students with both language skills and essential knowledge of their rights as immigrants.
Volunteer teachers must be able to commit 4 hours per week to assisting in the Citizenship class. Assistants work with lead teacher(s) in a class of 10-15 students.
The Citizenship class is designed to prepare students for the citizenship exam and interview, a major component of the naturalization process.
Textbooks, lesson plans, resources, and training are provided to all teachers.
- Citizenship Assistant
- Saturday 1pm-5pm
- April 21st 2018 or ASAP
- Assist teaching 40 hours of instruction during a 10-week cycle
- Collaborate with lead teacher to plan lessons
- Actively engage and coach students during class activities
- Assist with setting up and breaking down classroom, printing materials, taking attendance
- Teaching or tutoring experience
- Experience working with immigrant communities
- Commitment to immigrants' rights and social justice
- Organized and resourceful
- Volunteer must commit to completing at least one 10-week cycle. Preference will be given to qualified volunteers who can commit to multiple cycles.
- Spanish language ability a plus but not required
We look forward to hearing from you!
HOW TO APPLY
To apply please submit your resume to the Adult Education Coordinator Meredith Gamble at firstname.lastname@example.org.