A few hours per month
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
St. Nicks Alliance
St. Nicks Alliance seeks to transform lives of low-and moderate-income people through employment, education, housing, and health care. We do this by delivering impactful services with measurable outcomes to children, adults, and the elderly. As a civic anchor we carry out this mission within the context of building a sustainable community for all people through the arts, environmental advocacy, and urban planning.
We are currently seeking volunteer mentors to offer guidance, support, and encouragement to our young adults who will complete a construction training program. Mentors will commit to spend at least two hours per month with the young adults for eleven months, starting in September.
Requirements to be Mentor:
● Sincere desire to be personally involved with another person to help him or her achieve personal and career goals;
● Ability to communicate with young adults openly and nonjudgmentally;
● Strong listening skills;
● Ability to establish a relationship based on equal responsibility and respect;
● Interest in needs and concerns of persons with internal and external barriers to steady employment;
● Experience in the construction field;
● Practical problem-solving skills and ability to suggest options and alternatives; and
● Sensitivity to persons of different educational, economic, cultural or racial backgrounds.