Host site (local Habitat organization) Habitat for Humanity Philadelphia
Program AmeriCorps National
Member role Family services coordination
Host site manager Kathy White
Direct supervisor Rita Calicat
Service week (days/times)
Tuesday – Saturday, 8:30 AM –5:00 PM with occasional evenings/Sundays/Mondays (Target start date of Monday, September 16, 2019)
Will member engage in any of the following? Neighborhood Revitalization/ Veterans or military families
Program Benefits: Stipend
To Apply: Please click on https://www.habitatphiladelphia.org/family-services-coordinator/to further apply for this position. Open until Thursday, August 8, 2019.
Habitat for Humanity Philadelphia serves more than 270 people a year through our Homeownership Program, Home Repair Program, and Neighborhood Revitalization Initiative. Habitat Philadelphia is currently expanding its programming to work with more families, and the Family Services Coordination member will play an important role in meeting our goals.
This member position will build and maintain the pipeline of homeowner families by leading the efforts to recruit qualified families for homeownership, home repair projects, and Individual Development Account (savings plan with United Way) opportunities; educate the families about program requirements and the homeownership process; and monitor and track the completion of sweat equity hours. This member will be a point of contact for all homeowner families and mentors as each family goes through the process, including helping the family plan their new house dedication service. This member position is designed to move us substantially forward in accomplishing the affiliate’s goals of providing more affordable, decent homes for our community.
- Recruit homeowner family applicants for traditional homeownership, home repair, or Individual Development Account opportunities.
- Coordinate existing programs to attract qualified families as needed. This may include: placing posters and fliers at businesses, faith communities, and local employers, and communicating and meeting with various social service agencies. Assist Family Services staff in responding to calls and emails inquiring about homeownership in a timely manner, and promptly mail information packets to prospective applicants.
- Conduct applicant orientations and assist families in the completion of the housing application.
- Work with the family selection committee to select homeowner families for a variety of housing products, including Habitat homes, critical home repair, A Brush with Kindness and weatherization projects.
- Tasks may include preparing financial eligibility calculations and summaries for the committee on each applicant.
- Assist family services staff in making a follow-up, clarifying calls on homeowner applications.
- Attend all family selection meetings.
- Prepare monthly summaries on homeowner family progress for the committee.
- Track sweat-equity hours and send families monthly updates.
- Work with the family services committee and staff to provide educational opportunities to homeowner families.
- Plan and carry out homeowner education courses.
- Recruit appropriate teachers and speakers as needed.
- Become familiar with homeowner files to be able to answer day-to-day questions.
- Assist family services and construction staff with collecting necessary family information to prepare for closings.
- Work with homeowner families to plan their home dedication.
- On occasion, a member may build alongside homeowner families as they complete their sweat-equity requirements.
Experience, knowledge, and skills
- Valid driver’s license and ability to meet the host site’s insurance requirements.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word and Excel.
- Knowledge of, and willingness to promote, the mission and activities of Habitat for Humanity International and AmeriCorps.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong research skills.
- Detail oriented and highly organized.
- Experience working with volunteers, teaching or group facilitation.
- Experience working as a member of a larger team.
- A second language is highly desirable, with the preferred language being Amharic and/or Arabic.
- Public speaking experience.
- Knowledge of community development practices.
- Marketing experience.
To Apply: Please click on https://www.habitatphiladelphia.org/family-services-coordinator/*to further apply for this position. Open until Thursday, August 8, 2019.