Thinking about Teaching Math/Science? Apply for the EnCorps Teaching Fellowship for STEM Professionals
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by EnCorps STEM Teachers Program
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Have You Ever Thought About Teaching?
Will 2018 be the year you give yourself a rewarding and meaningful opportunity to share your professional experience? Inspire the next generation of innovators by getting personally involved as a STEM educator.
The EnCorps STEM Teaching Fellowship is more than a volunteer opportunity; EnCorps is an on-ramp to and exploration of a career in teaching, offering you the field experience, knowledge and connections to ensure you thrive. As a professional coming from STEM industry, you are uniquely positioned to inspire and engage students who need you most – those in our country’s most disadvantaged schools. You can leverage your career experience and STEM expertise to literally change a student’s view of science and math, improve their life prospects, and promote equity in our society.
“I want to pay it forward and share that caring with underprivileged students in my community.”
-EnCorps Fellow Nathan Flatt
Apply online: http://encorps.org/apply
EnCorps' Fellowship has won local, state, and national awards for its quality of experience. EnCorps enables its Fellows to work effectively with students in public and charter schools around the Bay Area in a highly supported, low risk way. Because of our direct service opportunities, professional development, and extensive support, EnCorps Fellows are well prepared to become successful educators for students in high needs schools.
The EnCorps Fellowship is a selective unpaid experience for STEM professionals who are interested in exploring their role in teaching and education and exploring a career change into high needs schools. The Fellowship is designed to be fit alongside a full time job or other life obligations as Fellows explore a career change.
Specifically, EnCorps Offers:
- Immediate field experience working with high need students as a tutor and/or guest teacher
- Mentorship from EnCorps staff and an experienced host teacher
- Exam support and credentialing guidance (including counseling on paying for your credential)
- Robust slate of professional development
- Collaborative cohort of peers to share ideas, support and best practices
- Opportunity to work in and network with a variety of public schools
"One of my passions in life is to see people live up to their potential. I have such fun watching my students grow and accomplish what I know they can do."
-EnCorps Fellow LaTeira Haynes
How To Apply
EnCorps Fellows come from a diverse range of STEM industries, but share a core commitment to public service and teaching in high needs schools. You do NOT need prior experience in teaching or education. Candidates must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Three or more years of science, technology, engineering or math industry or research experience
- Do not currently hold a California single subject teaching credential
- Possess at least a bachelor’s degree with a 2.50 GPA or higher
- Currently live in an area we serve (Greater San Francisco Bay Area, Greater Sacramento Area, Greater Los Angeles Area, Orange County, San Diego)
- Fully eligible to work in the United States (US Citizen, Permanent Resident, Work Visa)
Please visit our website for a more specifics on eligibility and selection criteria.
Apply Now to Join the 2018 Cohort of Fellows
Selection for the 2018 Cohort is underway! If you believe you are eligible, apply online in order to participate in one of our in person Interview Days:
- (Tue) February 6, 2018 in Redwood Shores (Application Deadline: 1/29/18)
- (Sat) February 24, 2018 in San Francisco (Application Deadline: 2/16/18)
- (Thu) March 8, 2018 in San Jose (Application Deadline: 3/2/18)
- (Tue) March 27, 2018 in Oakland (Application Deadline: 3/23/18)