Times of day
Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
3a Calle 10-56
TRAMA Textiles is a 100% worker-owned women’s weaving association based in Guatemala, created to help local women receive a fair salary through back-strap weaving textiles. This cooperative is the perfect place to volunteer if you’re creative, self-motivated, and interested in Guatemala’s Mayan traditions.
Working directly with 17 weaving cooperatives, representing 400 women from five different regions, Trama Textiles‘ headquarters in the beautiful highland city of Quetzaltenango comprises a shop where the handwoven items are sold, and also a weaving school offering hands-on classes for individuals wanting to learn about Guatemala's traditional weaving processes. Trama also has an online presence: an official website and an ETSY shop.
TRAMA’s mission is to offer training, support, work and fair wages to the women of Guatemala; to uphold their families and their communities with honour, and to maintain and develop their art, stories, designs, and textile traditions.
We are looking for a Communications / Marketing professional to join the volunteer team at TRAMA Textiles in beautiful Quetzaltenango (Xela), Guatemala. The Communications / Marketing Manager will oversee and coordinate all communications and marketing activity for TRAMA Textiles. We are looking to recruit someone for a minimum of 2–3 months starting September 2018.
- Coordinating and timetabling all communications and marketing activity
- Devising, implementing and contributing to the development of communications and marketing strategy
- Working with the Social Media Coordinator to coordinate social media activity, or managing social media platforms in the absence of a Social Media Coordinator
- Planning and creating and / or work with Design colleagues to create compelling communications material, including graphics, flyers, infographics and photos
- Developing and implementing blogger and influencer outreach programmes
- Developing media outreach strategy, working with media outlets and travel guides to raise awareness of our organisation
- Devising and implementing a monitoring system to track and evaluate communications and marketing performance
- Working with Sales colleagues to develop potential client relationships and promote individual sales online and in our store
- Carrying out local promotion with language schools, travel agents and hotels
Desired skills and experience:
- Experience in Communications / Marketing, preferably in a relevant field (fashion, fair trade, textiles, NGOs, development, women’s issues)
- Strong communicator with advanced English skills and at least intermediate Spanish
- Self-motivation, creativity and flexibility
- Ability to work independently and take the initiative
- Organizational and administrative skills
- Enthusiasm for the values of TRAMA Textiles (fair trade, female empowerment, protection of cultural heritage)
- Ability to adapt to diverse cultural settings
- Learn about international development, artisanal handcrafts, fair trade, women's empowerment, and worker-owned cooperatives through a full-immersion volunteer program
- Obtain a fantastic social media and marketing portfolio
- Gain valuable experience in brand establishment, fashion merchandising and marketing, and customer relationship development
- Work with a dynamic international team, including the president and vice president of the association
- Learn about traditional Mayan weavings and textile traditions
- Improve Spanish skills and discover Guatemalan culture
The Communications / Marketing Manager is a part-time position. The volunteer can expect to work approximately 9am – 1pm Monday – Friday, depending on project workload and individual commitments.
We do not provide accommodation, but we can help you find an inexpensive place to stay. Quetzaltenango is a mid-sized city with plenty of affordable hostels and apartments. There are many shops and restaurants, bars and cafes, and it is a short bus ride away from many of the beautiful tourist sites in Los Altos (Lake Atitlán, Chichicastenango, Antigua, Huehuetenango, and many other destinations).
All positions are non-paid. We do not charge any fees for volunteering.
- Training Provided
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers