Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
759 Kearny Avenue
VISTA Assignment - Tutor Training Development
Since 1979, Literacy New Jersey (formerly Literacy Volunteers of New Jersey) has been committed to strengthening New Jersey’s workforce, families and communities by ensuring that free, high quality literacy instruction is available to low literate adults in every New Jersey community.
Literacy New Jersey provides free instruction to adults who need help with reading, writing, math and speaking English. Trained volunteer tutors work with adults one-to-one or in small groups to help them improve their language and literacy skills so they can reach their life goals. Our students are at the lowest levels of literacy, including those who seek to learn English as a Second Language, improve their basic reading and writing skills, prepare to obtain their High School Equivalency diplomas, or become U.S. citizens.
Professional development is a core value for Literacy NJ. Our students are not the only ones learning; we are all learners. Our volunteer tutors attend approximately 15 hours of pre-service training before tutoring and then attend in-service trainings throughout their time as a tutor. By creating a comprehensive system for both the creation and delivery of in-service trainings, VISTA members will enhance the core services provided by Literacy NJ.
VISTA members will:
- Create a database with the current professional development opportunities for students, volunteers and staff throughout the adult literacy community. This includes opportunities though our affiliate relationships in counties where we do not provide direct service.
- Develop a mechanism to evaluate the effectiveness of in-service trainings.
- Use the database to create both a calendar and a directory so opportunities can be shared.
- Conduct a needs assessment for adult literacy programs in NJ of training, curriculum and professional development needs.
- Create and implement a plan to fill training needs by bringing together volunteers and staff to create training and curriculum that can be shared.
- Expand the capacity for both pre-service and in-service training by collaborating on and implementing a training plan for local Literacy NJ offices. This includes outreach, recruitment, orientation, training and evaluation. Create a toolkit so the plan can be replicated.
- Explore collaborations with community partner agencies in order to enhance professional development offerings.
- Create mechanisms to share through the creation of new workshop strands at our annual, professional development conference or though other trainings.
- Track how many individuals were trained and what content was created.
- Bachelor’s Degree (preferred).
- Strong interest in working in adult literacy .
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs.
- Possession of a driver’s license valid in New Jersey is required as the operation of a vehicle is necessary to perform the essential duties of the position.
- Ability to maintain a poised and professional demeanor which includes sensitivity to cultural diversity, and to represent the program in a professional manner.
AmeriCorps VISTA Requirements:
- Be 18 years or older (no upper age limit)
- Pass a national service criminal history check,
- Hold one of the following citizenship statuses: US citizen, US National, Lawful
- Permanent Resident Aliens and persons residing in a state that have the following legal residency classifications: refugee, asylum or asylee, temporary protected status, or deferred action for childhood arrivals (DACA) status.
Stipiend: AmeriCorps VISTA members receive a modest living allowance ($16,717) before taxes/year in Hudson County NJ based on the local poverty level), relocation allowance, child care allowance, and health benefits during their service. VISTA members also have the option of receiving a $5,920 Segal AmeriCorps Education Award or a $1,803 stipend after completing their term of service. There are a variety of other benefits such as eligibility-based childcare assistance, relocation allowance, and federal non-competitive status.
- For more information on benefits provided through AmeriCorps VISTA, visit: https://www.vistacampus.gov/in-service/benefits-service.
- This is a one year, full-time position starting in September 2018. Positions are open in Kearny, NJ
Click here to apply.
About AmeriCorps VISTA: AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) members bring their passion and perseverance where the need is greatest: to organizations that help eradicate poverty. The most pressing challenges we face as a nation require the most courageous and creative people to address them. An AmeriCorps VISTA member serves as a catalyst for change, living and working alongside community members to advance local solutions.
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided