Guanacaste, Santa Cruz
Abriendo Mentes is a nonprofit organization empowering communities in Guanacaste, Costa Rica through education. To learn more, please visit www.abriendomentes.org
The Youth Programming Assistant is a support position to the Site Director and Teachers. The main responsibility of the Youth Programming Assistant is to assist in the English and Computer classrooms during our after-school program for children 4-13 years of age. This position works directly with the Teachers in Potrero or Brasilito, Guanacaste, Costa Rica and assists with the preparation and delivery of classes, as well as help with classroom management. Other responsibilities include collaborating with the Site Director on other youth programs, such as sporting activities, Boys Club, Fun Friday, Futuro Verde Environmental Project, community events and more. The ideal candidate for this position is a friendly, positive and energetic person who takes pride in doing their job well; has experience with and a love of working with children who have learning and behavior challenges; is creative and adaptable and has endless patience.
- Attend and assist all assigned English and Computer classes.
- Participate in ‘Fun Friday’, ‘Reading Time’, ‘Homework Help’ and other youth programming activities.
- Help prepare activities prior to class and clean up after class.
- Maintain an engaged presence in the classroom at all times.
- Assist with test review sessions as scheduled.
- Assist with lesson planning and trauma informed educational ‘Brain Breaks’ as requested.
- Help maintain a clean and organized classroom and office space
- Attend weekly all-staff meetings.
- Assist with other tasks as assigned by the Site Directors or Executive Director.
- Attend and be on time for all classes, youth activities, and meetings.
- Commitment of 3-6 months minimum highly desirable
- Commitment to Abriendo Mentes' mission
- Love for working with children
- Energetic and personable
- Experience with trauma informed education an asset.
- Experience working in a diverse classroom environment with mixed ages and varying levels an asset.
- Cultural sensitivity and ability to work well with a team of international volunteers.
- Experience living or working abroad in a rural community in the Global South, preferably in Latin America, an asset.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Friendly, Kind and Compassionate
- Creative and resourceful
- Adaptable and flexible
- Approachable and personable
- Organized, reliable and dependable
- Ability to work well with others
- Able to multitask and work in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with school-age children preferred
- Intermediate Spanish language skills (minimum)
- Positive attitude, Strong motivator
- Living and working in a rural, isolated town.
- Working with another culture in a bilingual setting.
Potrero or Brasilito Site Director
Youth Education Coordinator
Playa Potrero, Guanacaste, Costa Rica.
Playa Potrero or Playa Brasilito, Guanacaste, Costa Rica.
We are looking for Youth Programming Assistants to join us in 2019. Start dates are flexible. Please fill out an application on our website at www.abriendomentes.org/join to learn more.
*Please note, this is a volunteer position. Abriendo Mentes is not able to provide a living stipend at this time.
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
To apply, please fill out an application found on our website: http://abriendomentes.org/join/youthprogrammingassistant/